Ball Park Greed

BHaines

Reaction score
While i am sure this has been discussed before, I can't help but voice my displeasure with certain ballparks that find multiple ways to gouge parents for money during tournaments. In my experience, I am finding this seems to be a southern Ohio practice.

Specifically, certain softball parks charge upwards of $6 per head to come watch your own child play ball. Not only do they charge for admission, they prohibit carrying coolers into the ballpark unless it is a small cooler holding water or fruit for the BALL PLAYER. (not the rest of the family) I kid you not - at one of the fall tournaments we attended this year, the gatekeeper checked our cooler and refused us entry because we had 4 blue Gatorade bottles inside along with our apples and grapes. The Gatorade was for our daughter who was playing 3 games in the same day. I realize this rule is to encourage parents to purchase inflated priced items from the concession stand. When i have asked tournament officials about all of these superfluous charges, the response is always the same. #1. It is a Park rule, not a Tournament rule and we have no control. #2. The Park uses the money for park improvements. I notice some ballparks even have a rule on their website that there is "No Tailgating or Picnicing in the Parking Lot." So even if you bring a cooler of your own food to eat in your vehicle, you run the risk of the parking lot police putting an end to it. (I am not sure how they would do this exactly... Halt, or I'll confiscate your ham sandwich!! LOL)

Isn't it enough that parents pay $600-$1500 (or more) for their children to play a softball season? Tournament entry fees themselves have gone up consistently over the last 5 years. If a family of 4 wants to watch the tournament, it will cost them at least $24 entry fee (not to mention grandma and grandpa's fee). Then you have to purchase lunch and possibly dinner at the concession stand. They used to call golf a sport for the "Elite." (meaning people with money) Apparently, softball is hoping to take over that designation.

But i don't lay the blame solely on tournament directors and ballparks. Coaches have choices to make as well. As a coach for the last 5 years, i specifically avoided tournaments at ballparks that charged parents a fee for entry. It just seemed like such a slap in the face. Of course, this is all just my opinion. You can agree or disagree and that is ok. Thanks for letting me blow off some steam. :)

daboss

Reaction score
You already answered your own questions and explained the reasons why things are what they are. You vented. I hope it helped. It will not change anything.

Most tournaments are not held for the goodness of the children. They happen because somebody wants to make money. The money is used for many reasons which could include lining the pockets of ballpark owners. When privately owned parks can no longer make money they will quit hosting tournaments and utilize the property in some other capacity.

Tax money helps Rec dept.s offer facilities for recreational purposes. They are not free------we all pay. It's a part of an overall budget that is allocated and approved by local politicians.

You have to decide how much of your personal budget you want to spend on your kids and on this sport. Rules are rules. Your complaining because you can't sneak 4 bottles of blue Gatorade into a park is a violation of the rules. Also, it sends a terrible message and is a poor example for any youth. Lead by example, quit complaining, accept a higher road to set an example for tomorrow's leaders.

You have a choice. Don't come back. There's hundreds of others that'll fill the void. Sorry but that's my opinion...........

Long Baller

Reaction score
I remember one facility we went to a couple seasons ago. They were hosting a softball and soccer tourney at the same time. Soccer was free and softball was $5/person. No doubt in my mind that the tourney director gets a cut of the gate, but whatever... it is what it is. It's all part of the "process" that you need to trust in for little Suzie to get that big college scholarship. :);):(:eek:

Mad Hornet

Reaction score
BHaines I'm guessing you are at the beginning of your daughter's travel ball journey. What you described is tip of the iceberg. And it's not a southern Ohio thing. It's an everywhere thing. High school playoffs charge gate fees too. Wait till she starts going for college exposure. Stay to play or pay a penalty for picking your own hotel. Triple Crown, Legacy in Atlanta, Scenic City, Colorado, St. Louis, etc. etc. etc. Sorry but you're going to pay through the nose. Hopefully the experiences will be worth it!