Do you think Summer Season will be cancelled ?

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yo yocoach ! i hear ya... here;s my take. things change everyday. new tests are being developed and now they have a home test and a saliva test. the capabilities grow daily in the amount of testing we can do. Its amazing what the private sector has done! GO USA! i think 80% of us all already had it one way or another. getting a vaccine will take a long time but we dont have a cure for the flu and we seem to do alright each and every year. once the numbers are in i bet it will be a % of a % of people that may die and will be less than the flu bug that hits us every year. but with governors in control of things publicly held fields might not play... privately ones will. i think we could be playing in some way by mid June. once that sun comes out and if you shoot up some lysol... you'll be fine. (JK - dont shoot up lysol people!! jk) gotta have a sense of humor.

While I agree with you about the numbers, they'll still remain skewed due to every death in a hospital, regardless of the true cause, is being reported as a C0vid-19 death or Covid-19 related and other deaths that truly are Covid-19 caused/related are going unreported due to them never being tested. One of my best friends was 70 YO. He was diabetic, overweight and already had breathing issues due to his weight/cigar smoking. He had all of the symptoms other than a fever. He went to his Doctor and was sent home without being tested and told to rest and drink lots of fluids. Two weeks later, not feeling any better, he went back. Still no test, told the same thing and sent home. The following day he passed. I firmly believe he had it but his death will go unreported. The other thing is, just because you've had Covid-19 and developed antibodies, new evidence is coming out that you can possibly catch it again. If infected again, will the results be better, worse or the same as last time? Too much is still unknown about this thing.

Like I said, I'm not holding my breath although I am hopeful, and maybe unreasonably optimistic, we'll get some ball in this Summer. Under what circumstances are yet to be seen. There's many more factors to all of this I think too few have considered.

For example, in our overly litigious society, what happens if we get the chance to play and someone gets Covid-19 at the tournament? What happens if they sue? Even though it would be extremely difficult for them to prove that they got it at the tourney, the lawyers' fees will be in the thousands if not tens of thousands. Will the tourney insurance cover it? Ehhh...maybe. Will it bankrupt the hosting organization if it doesn't? Probably many of them. How many organizations would be willing to take that chance? This is just one of the factors to consider. I'm not saying it can't be overcome, just that the new norms will be far from where we previously considered "normal" and probably even further than we ever imagined; especially if the government sticks their nose in it more than they already have which is a foregone conclusion.

Last edited:

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
simple waiver form would fix that. If you dont sign it, you dont participate. we cant run and hide forever.

OHsoftball

Reaction score
simple waiver form would fix that. If you dont sign it, you dont participate. we cant run and hide forever.

yep said this many times, sign a waiver and that fixes that issue. I think the next few weeks will be really important. Watch the number of hospitalizations rather than number of cases. Hospitals are empty right now and I expect and hope they stay that way. If so, things are going to have to start going back to some kind of normal. Kids need sports and other activities to stay healthy.

PaulP

Reaction score
I agree with using waivers. In the end, parents need to make a choice about playing this year.

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
simple waiver form would fix that.
Playing Devil's Advocate here. Would it be strictly for Covid-19? If not, why have tournament insurance at all? How many teams will even be viable before this waiver comes into effect due to parents not wanting to take a chance? How many teams will have enough parents sign this waiver to participate? Most of the umpires in our area are older. Will they sign one or just not call a game for the entire year. Again, all things to consider.

we cant run and hide forever.

Agreed. But that doesn't mean many of our population won't try;)

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
absolutely it would be for covid. your team insurance covers all injuries. the only reason we are all hiding is because of covid. this is softball......... softball people play in frozen mornings, hot as h8ll days, we dont care about a little covid!!!!!! THIS IS SOFTBALL MAN~!

Cat-Man

Reaction score
Someone mentioned earlier the possibility of suing if you or your kid gets Covid-19 at a tournament. I would think that would be a non-starter and lawyers would know that. IMPOSSIBLE to prove. Can anyone actually pinpont how they've caught a cold or stomach virus? If it had a chance of winning, you would see people suing any place of business claiming they caught it there. Or suing their employers and/or the government claiming they were forced to go back too early. I think any case involving Covid-19 would be DOA. (no pun intended)

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
absolutely it would be for covid. your team insurance covers all injuries. the only reason we are all hiding is because of covid. this is softball......... softball people play in frozen mornings, hot as h8ll days, we dont care about a little covid!!!!!! THIS IS SOFTBALL MAN~!

Damn, i hope this was meant as sarcasm....

VE_05

Reaction score
While I agree with you about the numbers, they'll still remain skewed due to every death in a hospital, regardless of the true cause, is being reported as a C0vid-19 death or Covid-19 related and other deaths that truly are Covid-19 caused/related are going unreported due to them never being tested. One of my best friends was 70 YO. He was diabetic, overweight and already had breathing issues due to his weight/cigar smoking. He had all of the symptoms other than a fever. He went to his Doctor and was sent home without being tested and told to rest and drink lots of fluids. Two weeks later, not feeling any better, he went back. Still no test, told the same thing and sent home. The following day he passed. I firmly believe he had it but his death will go unreported. The other thing is, just because you've had Covid-19 and developed antibodies, new evidence is coming out that you can possibly catch it again. If infected again, will the results be better, worse or the same as last time? Too much is still unknown about this thing.

Like I said, I'm not holding my breath although I am hopeful, and maybe unreasonably optimistic, we'll get some ball in this Summer. Under what circumstances are yet to be seen. There's many more factors to all of this I think too few have considered.

For example, in our overly litigious society, what happens if we get the chance to play and someone gets Covid-19 at the tournament? What happens if they sue? Even though it would be extremely difficult for them to prove that they got it at the tourney, the lawyers' fees will be in the thousands if not tens of thousands. Will the tourney insurance cover it? Ehhh...maybe. Will it bankrupt the hosting organization if it doesn't? Probably many of them. How many organizations would be willing to take that chance? This is just one of the factors to consider. I'm not saying it can't be overcome, just that the new norms will be far from where we previously considered "normal" and probably even further than we ever imagined; especially if the government sticks their nose in it more than they already have which is a foregone conclusion.

Not saying you are like this at all but, attitudes of sueing others for a decision that you made, and you could have easily said no to, is what is wrong with America today.

we as parents, have the ability to make the decision to protect our kids and stay at home and not play. There isn’t a coach, nor tournament director out there who can make you go to that tournament or practice. If you feel your family might get corona, the answer is very simple, stay at home. If you wanna go play softball, then go play. Educate yourself with the virus, and make the best decision you see fit. But don’t sue a tournament director, organization, school for a decision YOU made that you had 100% control over.

Sorry rant over. We WILL have summer ball! I have faith. Lol

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not saying you are like this at all but, attitudes of sueing others for a decision that you made, and you could have easily said no to, is what is wrong with America today.

we as parents, have the ability to make the decision to protect our kids and stay at home and not play. There isn’t a coach, nor tournament director out there who can make you go to that tournament or practice. If you feel your family might get corona, the answer is very simple, stay at home. If you wanna go play softball, then go play. Educate yourself with the virus, and make the best decision you see fit. But don’t sue a tournament director, organization, school for a decision YOU made that you had 100% control over.

Sorry rant over. We WILL have summer ball! I have faith. Lol

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I was just pointing out things that not only need to be considered by others in response to this virus, but the answers they may need to come up with and how far out of our former "normal" considerations they may become. As I said before, the new "normalcy" we finally settle into (when we do) will be profoundly different than what we are used to. I still don't believe that many have thought about the ramifications of it. Heck, we still have a section of our population thinking that it should be business as usual and they can still do whatever they want in direct violation of our current medical professional's recommendations and government decrees.

Also, sad to say, IMO, suing someone else over a poor decision they've made has almost become a national sport nowadays.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd like to hear what people think the "new normal" will be at softball tournaments. For example, will we find the home plate umpire now calling ball and strikes from behind the pitcher since they otherwise would be very close to the catcher; Will the catcher have to be at least 6 feet from the batter; will there be no sliding; will teams have to leave the field 6 ft apart when the game is over; when in dugout the girls and coaches have to wear masks; will there be no T shirt sales; will there be no concession stands; no team trophies or ind trophies passed out to winners; no game MVP awards, no team get togethers for snacks or fruit, etc, etc

OHsoftball

Reaction score
I'd like to hear what people think the "new normal" will be at softball tournaments. For example, will we find the home plate umpire now calling ball and strikes from behind the pitcher since they otherwise would be very close to the catcher; Will the catcher have to be at least 6 feet from the batter; will there be no sliding; will teams have to leave the field 6 ft apart when the game is over; when in dugout the girls and coaches have to wear masks; will there be no T shirt sales; will there be no concession stands; no team trophies or ind trophies passed out to winners; no game MVP awards, no team get togethers for snacks or fruit, etc, etc

I don’t believe “social distancing” will be as strict as it is now by summer.. I think it will be more focused on the vulnerable group, testing those with symptoms and everyone else will just need to be smart (wash hands, stay home if sick, etc...)

Last edited:

OHsoftball

Reaction score
I do think numbers will be limited when it comes to social gatherings, especially indoor events.

“phase 2” states that large venues can operate under moderate physical distancing protocols..

PaulP

Reaction score
Umps are being paid, so they would fall under a different category for which laws are already in-place. But I expect that many umps will sit this summer season out, which will be a problem. And I wouldn’t fault a parent for pulling their daughter from a team for health or financial reasons, which will prevent some teams from playing at all. I just hope it doesn’t come down to an arbitrary, bureaucratic discussion on whether this type of an event is allowed, but others are not.

Dwheeler83

Reaction score
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I was just pointing out things that not only need to be considered by others in response to this virus, but the answers they may need to come up with and how far out of our former "normal" considerations they may become. As I said before, the new "normalcy" we finally settle into (when we do) will be profoundly different than what we are used to. I still don't believe that many have thought about the ramifications of it. Heck, we still have a section of our population thinking that it should be business as usual and they can still do whatever they want in direct violation of our current medical professional's recommendations and government decrees.

Also, sad to say, IMO, suing someone else over a poor decision they've made has almost become a national sport nowadays.
I believe things should be back to normal in this country! Who said your opinion is right? Your just another one of there sheep they have gotten to buy into all this crap. 67482 people died in Ohio in 2018 due to drug overdoses did we stop to country for that? No! More people died last year from cancer in Ohio did we stop the country for that? No! Instead the hospitals are collecting huge amounts of money from dying people with cancer and drug problems! I have heard about enough of this crap. If you don’t want to play softball then don’t. People in this state and country need to get back to work and normal life to support there family! Yesterday I went to Meijer and the front door said only allowing 1095 people in the store at one time, well typically there are only about 1000 people at a good sized tournament that is hosted outside with sunshine and air movement. So don’t give me this crap anymore. Get back to life the way it was. If you want to do something good quit buying Chinese products! let’s quit sending them grain products and they stop sending junk toys and see which one of our countries survive longer. Bet they don’t live long eating junk toys and steel.

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe things should be back to normal in this country! Who said your opinion is right? Your just another one of there sheep they have gotten to buy into all this crap. 67482 people died in Ohio in 2018 due to drug overdoses did we stop to country for that? No! More people died last year from cancer in Ohio did we stop the country for that? No! Instead the hospitals are collecting huge amounts of money from dying people with cancer and drug problems! I have heard about enough of this crap. If you don’t want to play softball then don’t. People in this state and country need to get back to work and normal life to support there family! Yesterday I went to Meijer and the front door said only allowing 1095 people in the store at one time, well typically there are only about 1000 people at a good sized tournament that is hosted outside with sunshine and air movement. So don’t give me this crap anymore. Get back to life the way it was. If you want to do something good quit buying Chinese products! let’s quit sending them grain products and they stop sending junk toys and see which one of our countries survive longer. Bet they don’t live long eating junk toys and steel.

Overdoses and cancer ARE NOT CONTAGIOUS , theres your difference.

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I am not voicing an opinion whether we should have treated this virus like the flu, shut down the country, should have stayed open, etc. etc. The point I am trying to make, once again, is that there will be long lasting, profound changes to our daily lives as well as sports in general. I truly believe that few have thought about what they will be and how it will affect them, their families and our society.

The other point I made was that there is risk in everything we do but there are ways to mitigate some of those risks. With this virus, you and your family's well-being is almost totally dependent upon others inherent intelligence and willingness to abide by the recommendations set forth by Medical Professionals. There are certain sections of our population that are refusing to do so. Granted, there are ways to mitigate those risks even with this virus. Whether people think that is enough to warrant taking them is, and of itself, entirely up to them. Those mitigation steps, depending upon what they are, directly leads to point #1 I made.

Last edited:

SonicMojo

Reaction score

Granted. At what point do we not go through all this? What if the death rate was 50% of what it is? What if it was 5%? What if it was 0.5%? Would you still do we are doing now? There's been no discussion of this. The reason there is so much animosity, divergence, etc., is precisely because we haven't had that public discussion. As a society we make tradeoffs all the time. We know that people will die in traffic accidents (yes, I know they are not contagious), but as a society we value the benefit of the internal combustion engine greater than we value the lives that we know will be lost every year because of its existence and use. Absent COVID-19, we could significantly decrease the number of annual flu deaths by doing we we're doing now. But we don't. Why? (not saying that we should). All I'm saying is absent public discussion of these issues, there we will be little faith in the edicts of our leaders, especially when they continually move the goal posts.

Dwheeler83

Reaction score
Well smoking a cigarette is a choice people make everyday knowing that they cause cancer but they still do it correct? I want to be able to make my own choice not some politician telling me what to do. We have been on lockdown since March 22 yet people are still getting covid-19 how did that workout? Not to mention all the numbers are lies and have no credibility. Did you have enough food since the stay at home order that you never went out to a grocery store? Grocery stores are way more dangerous than a softball field. Listen if you guys want the government in control of everything we do on life that’s your choice but I don’t. This is called thinning the herd, just like in the animal world the weak never survive and I’m ok with that, I’m willing to take that chance to have my freedom! If David Koresh was still alive he would have been a great politician!