Are girls from other teams allowed in the dugout?

reagansdaddy

Reaction score
Had an interesting situation in a tournament this weekend. ASA rules. One team in the final had a girl from another organization in their dugout the entire game. Heck, the kid came out as the team captain for the coin toss. She was not on their roster and was in the uniform of another team that had been eliminated early in the day.

I asked the umpire if there were limitations on who could be in the dugout and he said there were not. Is this true? Seems very strange to me.

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
There is usually a limit to the number of coaches - But I have not really seen the dugout restricted by any one other than the coach who I would think would not want the distraction.

Not to sound harsh but what do you care how many girls they have in their dugout?

reagansdaddy

Reaction score
There is usually a limit to the number of coaches - But I have not really seen the dugout restricted by any one other than the coach who I would think would not want the distraction.

Not to sound harsh but what do you care how many girls they have in their dugout?

I guess I don't care one way or another - altough the kid did a nice job leading cheers, etc. Just found it odd that there would be multiple organizations in the same dugout and was curious if it was addressed by the rules.

daboss

Reaction score
You know, I try to be calm and rational about my responses but every now and then somebody puts something on here that cuts me like a knife. This thread is doing it right now and in my emotional state at the moment I am doing everything I can to keep from being "too honest" in responding to the topic. I'm going to take a few deep breaths.

I've decided to take a higher road and answer like a coach in a professional manner rather than like a human being with out of control emotions.

As a coach, I realize the sacrifice the players and families are making to actively participate in this sport--------at any level--------especially in travel ball. Time away from friends and family throughout the years takes it toll on people and in some cases is so much of a concern they quit in order to be close to others that mean a lot to them. Perhaps this kid was nothing more than an old teammate, a relative, a neighbor, a sister, a classmate, or a coaches daughter that some times practices with the team. Many scenarios could be plausible. If a kid like this wanted to be in my dugout and close to us during our game I would allow it as long as she wasn't disruptive. In all my years I have never had a problem with it.

I really want to say more but will leave by saying get over it. I think you should be able to tell by the choice of wording I've used to this point how I truly feel. Today is not a good day to poke this bear.

Rocket8

Reaction score
Jiffy Pop popcorn is expanding. LOL

I would not anyone in the dugout that was not a member of the team, to much of a potential distraction. Younger bat girls have always been a tough call. My opinion.

ValleyStorm

Reaction score
I do not know the whole story. It sounds to me like a young lady who is a friend, family member, etc.
As long as she is positive and does not distract my girls from playing at our expected level then I see no problem. Also....she may be a great player and having her watch us may bring her over to our organization.

FastBat

Reaction score
Perhaps this kid was nothing more than an old teammate, a relative, a neighbor, a sister, a classmate, or a coaches...

Siblings/cousins/family can look like the same ages, but they could be on different teams/orgs and at different developmental levels in ball.

I wouldn't care, I would hope it would distract the team with the unusual teammate visiting, lol! Young bat girls...not for me, I don't have the patience.