ASA rule changes

So, someone on another site posted this. I believe he is actually at the committee sessions.

After a full day of committee meetings, some things are becoming apparent.

The follow rule changes seem to be on course to be approved:

Moving the pitching distance for all 14U Girls FP to 43'

Remove the 44/375 ball from play for the men in the SP game beginning in 2014

Allow the players in 14u Girls FP to wear metal cleats

Define the procedures for removing and retaining equipment that does not meet ASA requirement for tournaments

Mandates that the home and visiting team is to be determined by a coin flip for all National Championships

Give the offense the option of the result of the play or the penalty for a IP violation in the FP game if the ball is not hit fair or foul

Negate the put out of the BR if a BOO appeal is upheld

It will be interesting to see if this is the case.

So, someone on another site posted this. I believe he is actually at the committee sessions.

Yes, the guy who originally posted this (it's probably been copied since) is at the meetings. He is also on the voting committee and is the umpire-in-chief for the state of Delaware.

I hope your wrong about the 43 feet ! I would like to see it stay at 40 feet ! jmho

brettman - what is the reasoning behind the removal of the 44/375 ball from mens play?

brettman - what is the reasoning behind the removal of the 44/375 ball from mens play?

They've been testing the 52/300 ball for slow pitch a couple of years now. The switch to the "softer" ball is aimed at both safety and competive concerns.

The lower compression rating means that ball exit speeds will be lessened a bit. It would also help to negate the effects of "cheater bats" (bat altering) that has been rampant in men's slow pitch.

The lower compression also would help reduce injury in the event a player is struck by the ball. A couple of years ago I saw some data on this. While I don't remember the exact figures, basically the harder ball produced impacts and stresses sufficient to break bone, while the softer ball did not. So, getting hit with one ball or the other could be the difference between a skull fracture and just a bad bruise.

By the way, there are no ball changes on the horizon for fastpitch.

Thanks bretman - yea there certainly isn't any reason to look at the same safety concerns in the fastpitch game............

I hope your wrong about the 43 feet ! I would like to see it stay at 40 feet ! jmho

Must be a pitcher's Dad. :lmao:

I would be more concerned with 13 YOs in spikes if they have not been taught properly. JMHO

14u to 43" and 14u can wear metal spikes..... In regards to these 2 possible rule changes, when do they become "official"?

If passed, they become official for the 2013 season. Everything will be final Thursday.

g3automtive, I am the parent of a pitcher (13yo) and I would love to see them go to 43'. They are going to have to pitch there in HS, and there are plenty of 14u pitchers pitching at the HS level who have to jump back and forth from spring to summer. Plus, since she hits as well, she will have to learn to adjust to movement, because the flamethrowers will start to get stamped.

If passed, they become official for the 2013 season. Everything will be final Thursday.

g3automtive, I am the parent of a pitcher (13yo) and I would love to see them go to 43'. They are going to have to pitch there in HS, and there are plenty of 14u pitchers pitching at the HS level who have to jump back and forth from spring to summer. Plus, since she hits as well, she will have to learn to adjust to movement, because the flamethrowers will start to get stamped.

Ditto that. Our 13 YOs have been playing from 43' all fall and winter. Moving back and forth messes with their off speed stuff.

How silly i must have sounded ! I apologize .... i have forgot how many 99 junkball pitchers i watched this past summer that will greatly benefit from the extra 3 feet with their off speed and 3 or 4 breaking pitches ! and for the 1 or 2 flamethrowers yep they may need to really start working on there spins thanks for reminding me !
LET THE HITTING BEGIN !

How silly i must have sounded ! I apologize .... i have forgot how many 99 junkball pitchers i watched this past summer that will greatly benefit from the extra 3 feet with their off speed and 3 or 4 breaking pitches ! and for the 1 or 2 flamethrowers yep they may need to really start working on there spins thanks for reminding me !
LET THE HITTING BEGIN !

Ouch dude! OK I'm not saying it's a benefit to our pitchers, but I would just rather stick with one distance. Changing between NSA, USSSA, ASA and TD's who modifiy ASA by doing 43' anyway messes up their calibration. Same with the hitters. I would just rather they all did one distance and stick with it.

^^Exactly my point. You said it much more clearly than I could have. Everything I typed and deleted sounded "p!ssy"...lol.

LET THE HITTING BEGIN !

YUP...typical answer of an infamous pitchers dad....HAHA just kidding...

LET THE HITTING BEGIN !

View attachment 830

Lol yes I think that was sarcasm, as I believe was Flaray's earlier post re: safety!

They've been testing the 52/300 ball for slow pitch a couple of years now. The switch to the "softer" ball is aimed at both safety and competive concerns.

The lower compression rating means that ball exit speeds will be lessened a bit. It would also help to negate the effects of "cheater bats" (bat altering) that has been rampant in men's slow pitch.

The lower compression also would help reduce injury in the event a player is struck by the ball. A couple of years ago I saw some data on this. While I don't remember the exact figures, basically the harder ball produced impacts and stresses sufficient to break bone, while the softer ball did not. So, getting hit with one ball or the other could be the difference between a skull fracture and just a bad bruise.

By the way, there are no ball changes on the horizon for fastpitch.

What poor s u c k e r did they get to stand and get pelted by softballs??? Maybe it was a bunch of disgruntled players who taped their coach against the backstop. Or, maybe it was some disgruntled players who disagreed with an umpire??? ;) (just joking around bretman).

But, for the last item on the list, Negate the put out of the BR if a BOO appeal is upheld, I am not understanding this. Some help please.

But, for the last item on the list, Negate the put out of the BR if a BOO appeal is upheld, I am not understanding this. Some help please.

ASA softball has an unique interpretation when it comes to batting out of order. Their rule is that when an improper batter who bats out of turn makes an out, if the BOO is appealed then the out stands. Thus you have two outs- one for the batter who should have batted, plus one for the improper batted who made an out.

All other rule sets that I'm aware (for both baseball and softball) negate an out made by the improper batter. If BOO is appealed, you get one out for the batter who should have batted and that's it. The at-bat of the improper batter who actually did bat is wiped out, as if it never happened, even if they made an out.

I'm not sure why anyone would propose this rule change, unless it was just to bring the rule in-line with all of the other organizations. It was probably proposed by a coach who got burned by this rule and had two outs called instead of one! I know that it couldn't have been proposed by any of the umpires. We love getting extra outs! ;)