Bat rolling, and shaving. Really??? (The Softball Zone Radio Show Thread of the Week)

Status
Not open for further replies.

When are tournament directors, and the sanctioning organizations going to wake up, and start testing bats? I personally know of an '01 coach that has offered this service to a few of his players. Why in the world would a coach of a 12u team need to doctor a bat, and put the safety of others at risk? Testing should be mandatory, and the coaches that are found to be in violation should be subject to prosecution for assault. Enough is enough!

(The Softball Zone Radio Show Thread of the Week)

Thread is Tuesday night Show Thread of the Week, join the show and listed or chat in the chat room or call in talk about this Thread.

Show Starts at 8:00 p.m. Tuesday Night 05.27.14

Follow this Link TalkShoe Community Call Voice Chat Group Calling Teleconference Calling once you get to Talkshoe click the Live Now Button and Look for "The Softball Zone Radio Show" Click on the Show Link or Clicking here TalkShoe Community Call will take you straight to the Show Page

Caller Welcome at any time during the Show.
Phone Number: (724) 444-7444
Call ID: 35639

Re: Bat rolling, and shaving. Really???

How would you propose they perform said tests?

Wow really a coach said this. Bats are coming hot out of the rapper as it is, stop being so stupid on trying to make the bats hotter and think more about these young lady's safety!!!!

I would hope this is just a rumor. Ultimately the parent is responsible for making the right decision. They shouldn't allow it to be done to their kid's bat nor should they play for a coach with poor ethics.

Also if this is true the coach should be held accountable for there actions if they are caught doing this to there players bats!!!

I'm not trying to make accusations about any particular coach or coaches. I'm just trying to bring to light that this type of cheating is around, and the ASA and other sanctioning bodies should take note before some one gets hurt.

Maybe a couple jail sentences and someone losing their house to pay for another kids medical bills might put the "Bat Doctor" out of business...

There's a bat gauge that tests the flex in the bat. It's a pass or fail
Bat Tester, Barrel Compression

The cost for this equipment is too much for every tournament to have. Just because a bat fails does not mean it has been altered. I would bet that most older model bats that have been bought used or passed down from big sis to little sis will fail just due to the number of hits on them.

The cost for this equipment is too much for every tournament to have. Just because a bat fails does not mean it has been altered. I would bet that most older model bats that have been bought used or passed down from big sis to little sis will fail just due to the number of hits on them.

Any bat that fails should be confiscated. Any line drives that cause an injury, and the bat should be confiscated and sent out for testing. Any bat that has been proven to be altered, and the offender should be subject to legal ramifications. How can anyone say that this equipment is too expensive? Wow! Did you really just put a price on safety?

It is a sad reality , but a lot of coaches are more focused on winning than player safety !

I imagine a lot of people will know who this coach is before long, even if the name isn't put out on here we all know this is a small world.

When are tournament directors, and the sanctioning organizations going to wake up, and start testing bats? I personally know of an '01 coach that has offered this service to a few of his players. Why in the world would a coach of a 12u team need to doctor a bat, and put the safety of others at risk? Testing should be mandatory, and the coaches that are found to be in violation should be subject to prosecution for assault. Enough is enough!

KINISON.jpg

Name them....... NAME THEM !!!!!!!! UHHHH OHHHHHHHHH

This is an old issue, Umpires are instructed to check the bats for cracks, rattles and anything that may be a concern prior to the contest but most of these doctored or rolled bats show no signs of tampering.

We played in a tournament in Nashville a few years back. There was a team was full of D1 college players and several kept using a Schutt bat that had about 12 HRs in the tournament. The parent for one of the ladies said there DD had broken the ILL. Home record in High School with it.
In our game they had two HRs when our catcher noticed the end cap started to come up. The batter tapped it on home and was ready to swing. The umpire stopped play and told them to remove the bat. It was being used a few hours later in another game....

In ASA the penalty for a coach found to have a player using an altered bat is severe. It is equally severe for the player. There are other angles as well:
* ASA won a trademark infringement law suit against a person that altered bats. The argument was that by doing so the person ruined the ASA stamp that stated the bat conformed to the ASA standards. The award was $100k.
* The ruling also opened up the question as to the coaches, players and the person altering the bats liability if the altered bat is used and causes injury to an opposing player. You could/should be looking at HUGE financial awards, if not criminal responsibility.

Slowpitch is leading the way in rolling and shaving technology. It is openly advertised down here. My guess is that once a pitcher is killed in that sport you will see action. USSSA in our area is relentless when it comes to checking slowpitch bats - not sure about other regions. In the larger events each team has their bats checked before the game and they are put in a trash can behind home plate. Batters can only use those bats. In regular leagues if a batted ball hits the pitcher, or is deemed to have been an injury near miss, the bat is immediately confiscated for testing. USSSA understands liability. They want to make sure they are seen as taking every precaution possible in the event they are brought into a lawsuit.

If in fact you know this to be true you should immediately contact the state directors of all sanctioning bodies and inform them. Personally I would contact the tournaments this team is playing in as well.

How bad will you feel if this coach alters a bat and really hurts a player. You could have stopped it.

Slowpitch ... In regular leagues if a batted ball hits the pitcher, ... , the bat is immediately confiscated for testing.

What is the pitcher is just slow?

Louuuuu
Pitcher, Church League, Slow

slow pitcher - no pitcher......... play right field!!!!

Certainly wear a catchers helmet!!

Status
Not open for further replies.