Catching and Catchers discussion Catchers Mitt

I'm looking for any recommendations (or negatives) on a new Catchers Mitt for Dads. My dd is starting to sting me a bit along with a few drops that could not possibly be the operator of the mitt.

I recently went through a search for a fastpitch catchers mitt that would fit my hand when catching for my dd.

I tried one from Louisville Slugger that they call the Big Daddy, and is advertised specifically for Dad's who catch for their dd's, but I found it to be too small. My hands aren't huge either.

A lot of the fastpitch catcher's mitts on the market now have finger stalls that are smaller specifically for the female hand. It was tough to find what I would work good for me, but I finally decided on the Mizuno GXS92. It was $69.99 at Dick's, and it has been very easy to break in.

I use an Akedema first basemans' mitt. My daughter is 16 and throws hard. I like it better than any catchers mitt I have used. My hands are conditioned to the sting.I feel it more on a drop than any other pitch.

I really like the Easton elite. Fits good and has extra padding like a palm guard.

This is the Mizuno I ended up buying. Good idea too on the 1B gloves, I'm sure they would work well too.

item-mz10-gxs92-1l.jpg

item-mz10-gxs92-3l.jpg

Finding a friend of hers that is a catcher is probably the best mitt you can buy.

Finding a friend of hers that is a catcher is probably the best mitt you can buy.

You got that right. I travel on business frequently, and my DD has a teammate that can occaisionally catch for her, so that is a HUGE help.

I bought this Easton a few years back and it has held up well. If I catch in the palm of my hand, well then it's my own fault. She started hollering at me this year to block...she's 10...

140.jpg

Wow, WNY you had better get that attitude under control. Hollering at a catcher by a pitcher is not appropriate, hollering at Dad is not remotely acceptable.

The first rule of a practice catcher is 'do not to get hurt'. If she throws the ball in the dirt move, get out of the way, protect your face, pick the ball off the net, toss it back and live to catch another day. This is her practice not yours.

She is lucky to have someone catch her and you have signed up for literally a million pitches. You've got to last 8 more years and then she'll be some poor college catcher's problem. You had better break her of the 'Mound Princess Syndrome' before it can get started.

Wow, WNY you had better get that attitude under control. Hollering at a catcher by a pitcher is not appropriate, hollering at Dad is not remotely acceptable.

The first rule of a practice catcher is 'do not to get hurt'. If she throws the ball in the dirt move, get out of the way, protect your face, pick the ball off the net, toss it back and live to catch another day. This is her practice not yours.

She is lucky to have someone catch her and you have signed up for literally a million pitches. You've got to last 8 more years and then she'll be some poor college catcher's problem. You had better break her of the 'Mound Princess Syndrome' before it can get started.

She's my daughter, she's messing with me. She would never act like that to any other coach or her catchers. :rolleyes:

I bought this Easton a few years back and it has held up well. If I catch in the palm of my hand, well then it's my own fault. She started hollering at me this year to block...she's 10...

140.jpg

This is the mitt I bought my DD. We spent almost a full year trying to break it in. I conditioned it. I beat it with a hammer. I ran over it with my car. I soaked it. I baked it. I froze it...the leather to this day is still as stiff as the day I bought it. Finally gave up and bought a new mitt for her that took all of a week to get soft.

This is the mitt I bought my DD. We spent almost a full year trying to break it in. I conditioned it. I beat it with a hammer. I ran over it with my car. I soaked it. I baked it. I froze it...the leather to this day is still as stiff as the day I bought it. Finally gave up and bought a new mitt for her that took all of a week to get soft.

You forgot to use a flame thrower... ;)

I have same issue with the Adidas mitt I bought to catch my daughter. I can't get it broke in much to save my life, but I can catch a ball and not hurt my hand so I just go with it. Would be a diff story if my catcher daughter was using it.

This is the Mizuno I ended up buying. Good idea too on the 1B gloves, I'm sure they would work well too.

item-mz10-gxs92-1l.jpg

item-mz10-gxs92-3l.jpg

That is the exact glove I have as well. One of the nicest I've tried, and found a great deal on a 34" for $49

I'm looking for any recommendations (or negatives) on a new Catchers Mitt for Dads. My dd is starting to sting me a bit along with a few drops that could not possibly be the operator of the mitt.

Considering that hands are all shapes and sizes, a certain mitt may ... "fit like a glove" :D on one person, while it may be quite uncomfortable on another. It is really a personal preference.

The stinging and pain is another thing altogether. A catcher's hand takes a constant pounding - and according to many sports medicine professionals, the constant bending back of the thumb is especially damaging over a long period of time. Most folks don't even realize that this is the source of prolonged pain until a visit to their doctor confirms it. Gel pads were not recommended by our sports med doctor, as they tend to mask the problem, and do nothing to alleviate the bending of the thumb.

A previous thread from last year discusses all this in detail, and suggests remedies...
http://www.game-ex.com/vb3/showthread.php?p=269412&highlight=splint#post269412

That's what I find the most uncomfortable part of catching, the bending back of the thumb. I try and get my glove in the best position so that doesn't happen, but that isn't always possible.

The Mizuno catchers mitt I bought was the best one for me, but I still prefer my old Louisville Slugger glove I used when I played slowpitch. Unfortunately, it has some broken laces, so I need to get it off to Bretman for repair. I've been lazy about getting it boxed up and sent though.

I have seen that same issue with other mitts of the same name and model. When I got mine I did nothing to it. I just caught as much as I could for as many different pitchers as I could and it worked in nice and soft. Another parent bought the exact same one and did everything you did and hers is the same way. Maybe I got lucky? :confused: