coaches yelling: positive or negative

Iwould like everyones opinion on this. Here are some statements from coaches i found online. " Yelling forces most kids to second guess their behavior ". " Kids are afraid to make mistakes because they fear what the coach will do. This causes some athletes to play more tentatively in fear of making more mistakes ". " Kids will react negatively to this (yelling) and lose confidence ". " Many kids feel embarrassed when they are singled out by the coach, and yelled at for mistakes ".

I believe there are two things to consider, one the age of the girls and two is it positive or negative in nature. To me the younger girls don't understand that some of the yelling may be just constructive critisism and take it way to heart. The older girls are more than used to it from high school and experience. I do not condone the idiots who yell at the girls as if they are bashing them for a mistake. I am thankful we have good coaches (Roger and Fritz) on our team.

I think yelling usually is counter productive no matter the age. I think there should be a certain level of respect between the coach and the player. More often then not, the yelling either is or ends up being very disrespectful. Its real tough for a player to respect the coach who treats them in a disrespectful way.

I completely agree that yelling forces most kids to second guess situations. Second gueesing is not a good situation...and usually induces more yelling! Starting to sound like a vicious circle here...

I completely agree that yelling at players will cause them to hesitate and not try to make plays.

Long ago when I helped coach pee wee rec teams, I told the girls that I would be very disappointed in them if they didn't make mistakes, and they looked at me like, "Huh?" I said if you're making mistakes, then it means you're trying to make plays, and that's the only way we're going to get better.

I personally witnessed young players getting yelled at, and then the next time they don't try to make the throw from the hole, or they don't take the extra base, whatever. On the flip side, I've seen other coaches point out the positives when the SS air mails first base, then do some real coaching about setting the feet, following through on the throw, whatever. That SS might air mail the next throw, and even the one after that, but pretty soon, she's a pretty sweet infielder because she's got the confidence to try and isn't afraid to fail.

If you have ever watched "Mike Kostyal" of the Valley Storm coach his girls you will quickly change your mind.

He does yell at his players but not to degrade or be-little them, he COACHES them. Something that I have seen missing from 90% of Travel teams over the last few years.

What you have now are some Larger organizations who recruit from all over the state and expect the players to "Know" the game. Sure, they will hit them a few grounders or feed them a few balls thru the juggs, but very few "REAL" coaches left.

I like to watch Mike coach because his girls learn real fast the correct way to play the game and what is expected of them and mistakes earn them a little public griping and rightly so. Some coaches say that game time is not the time to coach, but I disagree. Coaching during practice, and coaching during the game are what is needed and if that means yelling a little, so be it. jmho

I watched him in West Liberty during the 4th of July tournament. I enjoyed doing so, I love a coach that is loud and vocal and gets his girls fired up. I never heard anything degrading or negative come from him. I thought the girls responded quite well to him....and he was LOUD :)

If you have ever watched "Mike Kostyal" of the Valley Storm coach his girls you will quickly change your mind.

He does yell at his players but not to degrade or be-little them, he COACHES them. Something that I have seen missing from 90% of Travel teams over the last few years.

What you have now are some Larger organizations who recruit from all over the state and exspect the players to "Know" the game. Sure, they will hit them a few grounders or feed them a few balls thru the juggs, but very few "REAL" coaches left.

I like to watch Mike coach because his girls learn real fast the correct way to play the game and what is expected of them and mistakes earn them them public griping and rightly so. Some coaches say that game time is not the time to coach, but I disagree. Coaching during practice, and coaching during the game are what is needed and if that means yelling a little, so be it. jmho

There have been many occasions when I have coached with a loud voice but I have never yelled at my players. My loud voice is a tool to get the attention of my players; yelling at a player is borderline abuse.

Well I must admit, I laid into my pitcher at Beavercreek, but it was only because her mom just gave her a big thing of loaded nachos and she immediately bolted from the dugout because a butterfly was "chasing" her which she apparently has a phobia about. This all during a game where she was supposed to be prepared to go into the game at anytime. Is that justified?

I bet anyone that has played for me before would immediately know who I am talking about.

I think what we as coaches must remember is that there is not one of these girls that "want" to mess up, but rather they want nothing more than to please us with their playing ability. and any coach that is a real coach will give praise to every player no matter what the situation sometime during a tourney; problem is most parents won't ever see that.

yelling at and yelling to a player are 2 different things IMHO

I coached a 'B' community travel team a few years back -- the girls who had tried out but were leftover after the 'A' team picked its preferred players.

Now, I'd seen a tourney coach who was a huge yeller and eye-roller get the absolute worst out of his team. His was a very good team, but his girls started to play tentatively -- obviously not wanting the ball to come to them because they might get yelled at.

That team had some of the most talented girls in the region, but couldn't even play .500 ball.

So I wanted to try something else. I told my 'B' girls not to worry if they muffed a grounder -- just stay with it and you might get the runner anyway. And don't worry if you drop a fly ball -- just get the ball in as quick as you can and keep the runner from advancing.

The result was they weren't afraid to try to make plays. I was surprised to see -- from the very first game -- that these girls started to played out of their skulls. They made plays I -- and, probably they -- didn't think them capable of. Just because they weren't afraid of missing up.

Sure enough, our little ragtag team started off well -- mercying a tournament team I figured we'd be mercied by. And they kept going from there.

After a few games of going undefeated, I didn't want my girls to choke if they got behind -- you know how it is when teams are undefeated; they freak out at the very thought of losing.

So I would tell them before a game that they probably couldn't beat this or that tournament team -- because the tourney team had probably played seven games since our last game -- but to just go out and do their best.

And, sure enough, they'd win. And win. And win.

Their only loss that summer was a 10-inning affair when my two best hitters were out of the lineup.

In fact our little ragtag, crumbum, reject squad ended up beating the 'A' team -- which had had first pick of our town's talent pool -- three times that year because we faced them in the playoffs. While they didn't beat us once.

My point is, I don't think yelling helps girls play better. They feel bad after a bad play. How is making them feel worse going to help them?

Not that I haven't yelled -- I have. But it's never at girls who are doing their best. K's and booted grounders and muffed fly balls aren't what get my goat.

No, what makes me yell is the stuff that takes no talent and no luck -- only effort.

I'm talking about backing up throws, running out grounders, and throwing to the right place. The worst softball player in the world can do those things-- and do them well.

What makes me yell is not when a girl tries and fails -- we all do that -- it's when she doesn't try.

My favorite player ever was my worst player ever. Could barely throw, catch, swing a bat. But when I'd put her in right she *always* backed up the throws to first. Won us games doing that. Weak bat, too, but somehow she'd put the ball in play -- won us games that way, too.

She always tried, always hustled, always did her best to do what I asked. And she was an asset.

My philosophy: Your team is your team. They are all *your* girls. Teach 'em the things they can do to win. Help 'em get better. And if one or another of them isn't in danger of becoming the next Crystl Bustos, find out ways she can contribute.

If you think you need better girls to win, fine. That's what the 2011 tryouts are for.

But if your girls stink, you're partly responsible for the aroma. You picked 'em, and you've been working with 'em, teaching 'em, motivating 'em. They're *your* team, you're *their* coach. If you humiliate them in public, it says more about you than it does about them.

Again, I'm not ruling out all yelling. But you can raise your voice without trying to hold your girls up to ridicule. It's the difference between, "Hey, Nikki! Get your mitt dirty on those," and, "Come on! What's the matter with you? If you can't catch 'em, at least lay down in front of 'em and maybe they'll hit you and stop."

Anyway, sorry to write a treatise here -- especially one that's so embarrassingly self-congratulatory. But this is a hot button for me. Besides, the one who really deserves the credit here is the yelling, eye-rolling tourney team coach who taught me what not to do.

:cap:

I selectively yell or coach dependent upon the girl. I know each girls attitude, motivators, and "buttons"... and I use that every chance I get. So, if you know how to coach... meaning, teach, listen, learn, instruct, and grow with the player... you are darn right I yell. I will not slam, belittle, or drain a kid's ego. 2 positive comments or more for every yell or instructive comment. And who in the heck has the right to say no yelling at this level. I never yell to yell. I never think it's ok to be a mean coach. A coach should be able to learn their players and then react accordingly.

Are these people that say not yelling at their kids at home is ok? One other comment... try coaching at a very high level and never get emotional... walk in the coach's shoes after 400 hours of practice and not feel you have some right to get on the player for goofy mistakes to "shock them" into a more productive state and tell me you wouldn't get excited once and a while. Try letting those mistakes go and just "let it be ok"... could be labeled as a back seat coaching. Now being a "tool" and overbearing coach is never acceptible.

I selectively yell or coach dependent upon the girl. I know each girls attitude, motivators, and "buttons"... and I use that every chance I get. So, if you know how to coach... meaning, teach, listen, learn, instruct, and grow with the player... you are darn right I yell. I will not slam, belittle, or drain a kid's ego. 2 positive comments or more for every yell or instructive comment. And who in the heck has the right to say no yelling at this level. I never yell to yell. I never think it's ok to be a mean coach. A coach should be able to learn their players and then react accordingly.

You read my mind!!
A HUGE part of being an effective coach is knowing each player and how they respond to certain disciplines/encouragements. Some players need self esteem boosts and reassurance so they can continue to put their best effort forth. Some players need to be yelled at when they're not trying or to get pumped up or re-energized. Some players break down and get upset and want to stop trying when they get yelled at (that's me! I'm a sensitive soul =P). Sometimes simply talking to a player about you thinking she's not trying hard enough or she is distracted will do it. Maturity levels and personalities WIDELY vary in the teenage years, therefore so have to the ways you deal with these teens. Likewise, running players to death doesn't elicit a very good response from most..it just makes most of us mad and makes us want to try less. That's how I am at least... Then you've got the kids who enjoy running and it doesn't phase them for a second.
Anyway, you have to know your players and how they respond individually to different situations. If you can't do that, IMHO, you can't be a very good coach. I hate when coaches group all players together and think "they're all girls, so I have to treat them like fine china." I especially hate when coaches who have coached boys think that it's okay to yell endlessly at all the girls and think it will just 'toughen them up a bit'.

You can categorize all you want the behaviors of these young athletes. Everyone does respond differently to yelling.

But the bottom line is its not necessary.
- Its degrading
- Its demoralizing

- and I honestly believe it makes the coach look like an @@S and the organziation they play for. Negative re-enforcemnt isn't the answer - it never will be. Yelling is frustration shown by the coach or just plain arrogance.
These girls know when they screw up they don't need you to point it out to the world.
;&

The last time I checked they are playing for pride / fun / school / bragging rights. No one is making the big dollars to play.

So I would ask that you reflect on why you would let your daughter be yelled at / bullied by an adult for making a mistake. They are not machines and their is NO JUSTIFICATION to publicly humiliate a player.

Has never happened to me or my DD and it will never happen.

You read my mind!!
A HUGE part of being an effective coach is knowing each player and how they respond to certain disciplines/encouragements. Some players need self esteem boosts and reassurance so they can continue to put their best effort forth. Some players need to be yelled at when they're not trying or to get pumped up or re-energized. Some players break down and get upset and want to stop trying when they get yelled at (that's me! I'm a sensitive soul =P). Sometimes simply talking to a player about you thinking she's not trying hard enough or she is distracted will do it. Maturity levels and personalities WIDELY vary in the teenage years, therefore so have to the ways you deal with these teens. Likewise, running players to death doesn't elicit a very good response from most..it just makes most of us mad and makes us want to try less. That's how I am at least... Then you've got the kids who enjoy running and it doesn't phase them for a second.
Anyway, you have to know your players and how they respond individually to different situations. If you can't do that, IMHO, you can't be a very good coach. I hate when coaches group all players together and think "they're all girls, so I have to treat them like fine china." I especially hate when coaches who have coached boys think that it's okay to yell endlessly at all the girls and think it will just 'toughen them up a bit'.

Agree. There is a difference between yelling and raising your voice to get someone's attention.

If the player is showing effort but not executing, just try to get it next time. If they're not showing effort, then they need to get motivated to do so. And the key there is knowing your players and what motivates them, and also how much criticism they can take before it becomes counter-productive.

You HAVE to deal with each player a little differently, due to how they perceive and respond to criticism or instruction. As a coach, part of your role is to get the most out of them and to motivate them to want to return and work harder. Explain to them the difference between criticism and offering instruction.

I'll single people out to the group when praise is earned, but when I have to criticize, I keep it on a team level to make it a learning moment, instead of a public dressing down. After that, the player can be pulled aside and offered instruction to reinforce their developing skills. Take the team and it's effort as a whole, and practice to develop individual skills that will strengthen that whole.

IMHO, yelling should be used as an "attention getter". Once you have their attention, then shift into a more "teachable" voice.

It applies to all ages. If someone is yelling at you, you automatically go into a defensive mode, not a learning mode.

Briney, absolutely down my road! Them making a bad throw, they know they screwed up, not a lot of need to jump up and down and scream and yell...now, when the third baseman throws the ball to first when the runner on second is not hesitating to get to thrid and the shortstop, or left fielder do not say a word...I get on them big time! PS, the throw to first was an overthrow and the runner heading to third that should have been out scores...frustrated yes...teaching point for all three girls on the left side yes...

It all boils down to what you are trying to accomplish an d the make-up of your team.

Yelling - used to motivate only, keep the message positive! Never use yelling to change behavior; never yell in anger; never, never single out a player

Being Loud - Use to express urgency or to talk over those darn cowbells when playing in PA; used when passing out kudos, pump the girls up and they will go through walls for you.

If you find yourself wanting to yell in anger, find another profession.
If you find yourself wanting to yell at a particular player all the time, cut them lose.

Here is an article that I like. It talks about how too much praise or the wrong kind of praise can be counter productive to some players' development. It is long but I hope you find it as interesting as I did.

NFCA Article
By Dr. Robert Westling

The self-esteem movement, which was flourishing just a few years ago, is in a rapid state of decline. Although most coaches believed that boosting athletes' self-esteem would boost their game performance and achievement, this did not happen. This failure does not mean we should stop being concerned with what athletes think about themselves and just concentrate on improving their performance. Every time we praise a player, we give them feedback and convey messages that affect that player's opinion of herself, her motivation and her achievement. Players should feel good about themselves, but how, exactly, should coaches go about doing this?

Praise is a powerful tool and if used correctly, it helps players understand the value of effort and how to deal with setbacks. But if praise is not handled properly, it can become just as powerful a negative force, a kind of drug that, rather than strengthening players, makes them passive and overly-dependent on the opinion of others. Giving players easy tasks and praising their success tells players that you think they are dumb. Imagine being lavishly praised for something you think is pretty "Mickey Mouse." Players in our test responded to this by replying that they thought the coach didn't feel they were capable of more and were trying to make them feel good about their limited ability.

In our study of the fastpitch coaches we surveyed, 88 percent said they needed to praise their players' ability in order to assure them they were good players. Eight studies were conducted with over 500 players to examine the effects of praise on fastpitch softball players. Each study involved the performance of several fastpitch skills, progressing from easy (if there is such a thing as an easy softball skill) to very difficult. After each task, we praised one-third of the players for their natural athletic ability. They were told, "Wow, you performed that drill correctly. You really did well on that drill. You must be a natural at this." The next one-third were told they did well on the drill, but were praised for their effort: "You must have worked really hard to get that good at that drill." The final one-third were praised for their performance of the drill, with no feedback or comment on why they were successful.

As a follow-up to the original drills, we gave players a choice of different skills to work on next. They could choose between a challenging drill from which they could learn a lot (but at which they might not succeed) or an easier drill (on which they were sure to do well and look good).

Seventy-eight percent of the group we had praised for their natural athletic ability chose the easier drills that would allow them to keep on looking athletic and skilled. Ninety-one percent of the group we praised for their effort chose the challenging drills. The remaining group was split down the middle, so we will not concentrate on them. The study was extensive and probably too long to be contained in this edition. But to summarize, we found some interesting results.

1. Throughout the eight studies, the group praised for their natural athletic ability consistently chose easier, less challenging tasks so that they could look good. The second group, which was praised for their effort, overwhelmingly chose to be challenged, even if it meant failure.

2. The first group, when interviewed by an anonymous peer, greatly exaggerated their performance. Very few of the students in the other groups exaggerated their performance in the interviews. This suggests that when we praise athletes for their natural athletic ability alone, failure becomes more personal and therefore, more of a disgrace. As a result, players become less able to face and, therefore, deal with their setbacks.

3. We found that following their experiences with the different kinds of praise, the players believed different things about their softball ability. Players who had received praise for their natural athletic ability told us they thought that the ability to be a good softball player was something innate -- a capacity that you just had or didn't have, nothing you were going to improve on. Players who had been praised for their effort told us they thought of their ability to play softball in terms of their skills, knowledge and motivation -- things over which they had some control and with hard work could enhance.

4. Finally, the players in the first group said they more than likely would not attempt a skill in a game that would embarrass them or make them not look good. The players in the second group said they would relish the opportunity to attempt a difficult skill during a game because it might help their team win and make them better players.

We went into this study with the notion that telling female softball players they are so naturally gifted motivates high-achieving players. Our research, however, suggested otherwise.

Try not to get players so invested in these labels that they care more about keeping the label than about challenging themselves and getting better. Instead of empowering these players, our praise is likely rendering them passive and dependent on something they believe they cannot control. In effect, it hooks them into a system in which setbacks signify incompetence and effort is recognized as a sign of weakness rather than a key to success.

When praising an athlete, concentrate your enthusiasm on her effort, strategies and team-first attitude, rather than on attributes she is likely to view as innate and beyond her control.

The following are ideas of areas where you can direct your praise:
*Rave about the player's effort.
*Praise her concentration and focus.
*Praise the effectiveness of a new technique or strategy she developed.
*Get "giddy" about new and interesting team-building ideas she came up with.
*When your player imparts wisdom, new strategies or appropriate exhortations to teammates, be all over that.
*Ask her questions which show an intelligent appreciation of her effort and the hard work she put into it.

Okay, coach, what about the times a player really impresses us by doing something, quickly, easily -- and perfectly. Isn't it appropriate to show our admiration for the player's ability? My honest opinion is that we should not. We should not be giving a player the impression that we place a high value on doing perfect work on tasks that are easy for her. A better approach would be to apologize for wasting her time with something that was way too easy, and move her to something that is more challenging.

When a player makes progress in or becomes proficient at the more challenging task, that's when our admiration -- for her efforts -- should come bursting through.

Here is my two cents. There is a balance between CONSTRUCTIVE critism and praise. When a coach rips into a player and then doesn't build that player up two things begin happening. First the player begins to lose respect for that coach, when that happens there is nothing that can be done from that coach to inspire or motivate the player. secondly, that player begins to lose joy in the game and it becomes something other than what it is supposed to be. This is especially evident in the batters box. A coach that is in his players head negatively will become an obstruction and when that player is not comfortable and relaxed in the box hitting will suffer. The one thing that I am seeing less and less of is proactive coaching and teaching. When players have a clear understanding of their job and potential situations combined with respect for their coaches and the confidence that comes knowing what to do, you get good results. Tearing into someone after a mistake may teach them about the mistake but it will instill fear and doubt. Players who play with fear and doubt instead of respect and confidence will often drop off in quality of play. Just because someone is the coach of the team does not automatically guarantee the respect and trust of the players that must be earned. When that bond has been established and developed those players will do just about anything for their coach. If that bond is never really established, especially with older girls they can see through the BS and the coach becomes less effective and the players become resentful and usually results in a lack of motivation and desire.

Here is an article that I like. It talks about how too much praise or the wrong kind of praise can be counter productive to some players' development. It is long but I hope you find it as interesting as I did.

NFCA Article
By Dr. Robert Westling

The self-esteem movement, which was flourishing just a few years ago, is in a rapid state of decline. Although most coaches believed that boosting athletes' self-esteem would boost their game performance and achievement, this did not happen. This failure does not mean we should stop being concerned with what athletes think about themselves and just concentrate on improving their performance. Every time we praise a player, we give them feedback and convey messages that affect that player's opinion of herself, her motivation and her achievement. Players should feel good about themselves, but how, exactly, should coaches go about doing this?

Praise is a powerful tool and if used correctly, it helps players understand the value of effort and how to deal with setbacks. But if praise is not handled properly, it can become just as powerful a negative force, a kind of drug that, rather than strengthening players, makes them passive and overly-dependent on the opinion of others. Giving players easy tasks and praising their success tells players that you think they are dumb. Imagine being lavishly praised for something you think is pretty "Mickey Mouse." Players in our test responded to this by replying that they thought the coach didn't feel they were capable of more and were trying to make them feel good about their limited ability.

In our study of the fastpitch coaches we surveyed, 88 percent said they needed to praise their players' ability in order to assure them they were good players. Eight studies were conducted with over 500 players to examine the effects of praise on fastpitch softball players. Each study involved the performance of several fastpitch skills, progressing from easy (if there is such a thing as an easy softball skill) to very difficult. After each task, we praised one-third of the players for their natural athletic ability. They were told, "Wow, you performed that drill correctly. You really did well on that drill. You must be a natural at this." The next one-third were told they did well on the drill, but were praised for their effort: "You must have worked really hard to get that good at that drill." The final one-third were praised for their performance of the drill, with no feedback or comment on why they were successful.

As a follow-up to the original drills, we gave players a choice of different skills to work on next. They could choose between a challenging drill from which they could learn a lot (but at which they might not succeed) or an easier drill (on which they were sure to do well and look good).

Seventy-eight percent of the group we had praised for their natural athletic ability chose the easier drills that would allow them to keep on looking athletic and skilled. Ninety-one percent of the group we praised for their effort chose the challenging drills. The remaining group was split down the middle, so we will not concentrate on them. The study was extensive and probably too long to be contained in this edition. But to summarize, we found some interesting results.

1. Throughout the eight studies, the group praised for their natural athletic ability consistently chose easier, less challenging tasks so that they could look good. The second group, which was praised for their effort, overwhelmingly chose to be challenged, even if it meant failure.

2. The first group, when interviewed by an anonymous peer, greatly exaggerated their performance. Very few of the students in the other groups exaggerated their performance in the interviews. This suggests that when we praise athletes for their natural athletic ability alone, failure becomes more personal and therefore, more of a disgrace. As a result, players become less able to face and, therefore, deal with their setbacks.

3. We found that following their experiences with the different kinds of praise, the players believed different things about their softball ability. Players who had received praise for their natural athletic ability told us they thought that the ability to be a good softball player was something innate -- a capacity that you just had or didn't have, nothing you were going to improve on. Players who had been praised for their effort told us they thought of their ability to play softball in terms of their skills, knowledge and motivation -- things over which they had some control and with hard work could enhance.

4. Finally, the players in the first group said they more than likely would not attempt a skill in a game that would embarrass them or make them not look good. The players in the second group said they would relish the opportunity to attempt a difficult skill during a game because it might help their team win and make them better players.

We went into this study with the notion that telling female softball players they are so naturally gifted motivates high-achieving players. Our research, however, suggested otherwise.

Try not to get players so invested in these labels that they care more about keeping the label than about challenging themselves and getting better. Instead of empowering these players, our praise is likely rendering them passive and dependent on something they believe they cannot control. In effect, it hooks them into a system in which setbacks signify incompetence and effort is recognized as a sign of weakness rather than a key to success.

When praising an athlete, concentrate your enthusiasm on her effort, strategies and team-first attitude, rather than on attributes she is likely to view as innate and beyond her control.

The following are ideas of areas where you can direct your praise:
*Rave about the player's effort.
*Praise her concentration and focus.
*Praise the effectiveness of a new technique or strategy she developed.
*Get "giddy" about new and interesting team-building ideas she came up with.
*When your player imparts wisdom, new strategies or appropriate exhortations to teammates, be all over that.
*Ask her questions which show an intelligent appreciation of her effort and the hard work she put into it.

Okay, coach, what about the times a player really impresses us by doing something, quickly, easily -- and perfectly. Isn't it appropriate to show our admiration for the player's ability? My honest opinion is that we should not. We should not be giving a player the impression that we place a high value on doing perfect work on tasks that are easy for her. A better approach would be to apologize for wasting her time with something that was way too easy, and move her to something that is more challenging.

When a player makes progress in or becomes proficient at the more challenging task, that's when our admiration -- for her efforts -- should come bursting through.

Wow, very interesting. Praise effort, not abilities.