Catching and Catchers discussion Do Your Pitchers Out-Pitch Your Catchers?

Below is a new article from my website I thought might be of interest to forum members.

As I have observed the game of fast pitch softball for women the past 10 years I have seen an interesting situation develop. There has been an extraordinary emphasis on pitching instruction around the country. The skills I used to see in only the best high school senior pitchers years ago are now being executed by girls as young as 12 and 13.

The 55mph barrier is being broken by younger and younger girls each year and the amount of movement on their pitchers that these young pitchers can achieve is startling.

All this leads me to the question: Do your pitchers out-pitch your catchers? Has the increase in skill of your pitchers out paced the skill of your catchers? Do your pitchers have pitches they can throw for strikes that your catchers have no chance of keeping a strike or maybe even just plain catching?

I see so many talented 12U and 14U pitchers lately getting frustrated because the catchers they throw to cannot begin to handle what they throw. Take a look at some interesting math for a moment and see how challenging it has become to be a 12U or 14U catcher.

It is not uncommon to see a second year 12U pitcher throw 50mph. At that speed the young catcher, maybe an 11 year old, will see a pitch leave her pitchers hand and hit her glove in just .55 of a second. That?s right, just a hair over ? of a second. I hear so many coaches that are frustrated that their 12U catchers have trouble handling that velocity. To put that in perspective however lets look at how advanced we need these young ladies to be compared to their baseball counterparts.

On the 90 foot baseball diamond the distance from the pitchers mound to the plate is approx 60ft. The velocity needed to travel that distance in .55 is 75mph. Most baseball catchers will not have to catch that velocity, or deal with that limited reaction time till most are 15-16 yrs old at the earliest. We expect 11 & 12 yr old girls to do it with limited training.

A pitch of 55mph by a fast pitch pitcher arrives at the catcher in .50 or ? second. Again the baseball equivalent velocity to achieve that reaction time is 82mph. Many high school varsity baseball pitchers will never see that speed in their high school career or have to deal with that short of reaction time.

So how can we help these young catchers to better handle the velocity and the short reaction time? I have a drill that I have been using for a number of years I have found to be extremely effective. The goal of the drill is to slow down the 50mph or 55mph or 60mph pitch to look like 35 or 40mph.

Here is how I do it. I do a receiving drill that exposes the girls to extremely short reaction times which equate to pitch velocities significantly higher then they will ever see even at the college level.

The first step is to get an accurate reading on your own underhand pitch speed. Find someone with a radar gun and have them time 10 pitches you throw into a screen. Your goal will be to throw all of them at exactly the same speed. Do not have the person tell you the speeds till you?re done. Remember, this needs to be a speed you can easily throw repeatedly with extreme accuracy. When I first did this a few years ago I found that my best speed for accuracy was 31-33mph.

I started with some 12U catchers back then and pitched to them at this speed from 25 feet away. Remember your goal is to throw strikes. This delivers the same reaction time as a 51mph pitch from 40 feet. Most thought this was easy. While the reaction time was the same obviously the ball hit their glove with significantly less force then the ?real 51mph? pitch. The goal I gave them was to ?beat the ball to the spot?, to have their glove at the spot of contact with the ball before the ball got their. With some of the fear removed since the ball would not hit as hard they became aggressive in their receiving and were soon catching from 25 feet with ease.

Then after 6-10 pitches from that distance I moved in to 23 feet. This reaction time now equated to a 55mph pitch. Most of these 11 and 12 yr old catchers were not seeing 55mph for real so this was a bit of a challenge for them. But again I observed a much bolder approach to their receiving and they were aggressive to get their glove to the contact point before the ball arrived. These same girls were very timid at this velocity in a real pitch situation. After 6-10 pitches I moved into 20 feet. I was now exposing 11 and 12 yr old girls to the reaction time of a 64 mph pitch. Many after getting over the initial ?yipes, that gets in here quick? were able to begin to catch a few. When they missed and they bounced off of their mask there was no big concern since it was only 32 mph.

When I would then go back to 25 feet and throw 6-8 more pitches they all commented that the pitch seemed very slow compared to before. As I incorporated this drill into their regular training I began to see a marked difference in their live receiving performance. Pitches that would have blown by them before that were just a bit off the plate were now being easily caught. My next thought was to get them ready for even faster pitchers.

I have made this a part of the training regiment for all my fast pitch catchers. Many of these same girls are now 14-15 years old and I make that same throw to them now from 16 and 12 feet. That?s the equivalent of 80mph and 106mph. If I throw strikes, they can catch many of them. Then when their own pitchers actually throw high 50?s and low 60?s they look like they are floating in.

This training has also helped the girls to be quicker to get to curves, drops, rises etc. The pitches just do not look as fast when you?ve caught pitches with reaction times that are equivalent to twice the speed your pitchers really throw.

Coach Weaver
New England Catching Camp

Last year at 12u this was a problem. The catchers dropped hard third strikes on regular basis and combined with their inability to throw the runner out consistently was frustrating for the pitchers. My DD didn't even want to pitch when the weaker catcher was behind the plate. It was very discouraging to need 4 or 5 strikeouts an inning.

YES!!! I too am a catching instructor and it it soooo frustrating to see all these teams focus on finding that stud pitcher, but never consider that the pitcher is nothing without the catcher. I have seen pitcher after pitcher leave teams because they don't have a catcher. A catcher can win games for you. Coaches need to make sure they do instruction with these catchers, not just stick them behind the plate for infield. Teach them how to block, throw to the bases, teach them to call pitches, how to field bunts, how to be vocal and call the plays, etc... It would make your team so much more solid and competitive if you have a stud behind the plate.

My dd is a pitcher. But I have to say that watching a really strong catcher play is fun. I absolutely love watching catchers that you can tell LOVE to be behind the plate. They are totally in the game from beginning to end. Unfortunately, I don't see many that are like that.

You are right Klump. I think that catchers need the same one on one instruction that you expect your pitchers to receive. They are a very important part of any team!

I am our teams catching coach. I also believe that catchers should receive catching instruction. Coach Weaver's advice and drills above are valuable information. One thing I would personally add that I do not remember seeing above in Coach Weaver's post is that the catcher should always focus on the pitcher's release. A catcher needs to pick up the ball at release just as a hitter should so they have the full .50 seconds to adjust and react. If the catcher's eyes are all over the place during the pitcher's windup and release, the catcher then has to try to find the ball in mid-flight, robbing themselves of valuable tenths of a second. Also, whenever possible, have the catcher go to the pitcher's lessons.

Len

I am our teams catching coach. I also believe that catchers should receive catching instruction. Coach Weaver's advice and drills above are valuable information. One thing I would personally add that I do not remember seeing above in Coach Weaver's post is that the catcher should always focus on the pitcher's release. A catcher needs to pick up the ball at release just as a hitter should so they have the full .50 seconds to adjust and react. If the catcher's eyes are all over the place during the pitcher's windup and release, the catcher then has to try to find the ball in mid-flight, robbing themselves of valuable tenths of a second. Also, whenever possible, have the catcher go to the pitcher's lessons.

Len

Len,

Great point, actually what I teach my catchers is to pick up the ball and begin tracking it as soon as it leaves the pitchers GLOVE. This way they are focused on the ball all the way through the pitching windup and into and through the release. Many times catchers will see windup errors that they have seen before (like during the pitchers pitching lesson, I agree Len, they need to be at the pitching lessons) and will have a heads-up that a problem is about to happen before the ball ever leaves the pitchers hand.

Nice to see we have several catching instructors on the site. Just curious about whether you have any thoughts about a catching technique I have seen a highly respected local coach using.

Instead of the usual target presentation of an open, palm-out toward the pitcher (as seen below)...

pitchersplate2.jpg

he has them hold their mitt up with the back of the fingers facing toward the pitcher, and flip wrist at the last second to catch the ball. He said this was still a sufficient target for the pitcher and much less stress/fatigue to the forearm.

This seems to make a lot of sense, and just wondered if anyone else out there was using this method.

The Maddogs teach the same thing. The first time my dd, a catcher, saw it, she thought it was nuts. She now does it for travel and high school teams, so she must understand the whys and wherefors and thinks it makes sense.

Nice to see we have several catching instructors on the site. Just curious about whether you have any thoughts about a catching technique I have seen a highly respected local coach using.

Instead of the usual target presentation of an open, palm-out toward the pitcher (as seen below)...

pitchersplate2.jpg

he has them hold their mitt up with the back of the fingers facing toward the pitcher, and flip wrist at the last second to catch the ball. He said this was still a sufficient target for the pitcher and much less stress/fatigue to the forearm.

This seems to make a lot of sense, and just wondered if anyone else out there was using this method.

When does the coach teach the catcher to turn the hand back around to get ready to catch the ball??

I know the frustration, when dd has a catcher that knows the game and can handle 50-55mph the opponent scores only a couple of runs per game and she can hold them to just a couple of hits. I moved her up to 14U in the fall for a tournament and she was pretty dominant, thanks to the catcher. A pitcher looks her best when she has a good catcher, otherwise frustration is at an all time high. Keep working on the catchers, they control the game!

As an umpire that often sees- and, many times, painfully feels- the results of pitchers outpitching their catchers, I applaud all of you instructors for working to improve the catching position! :)

Like this?? You put your mitt up as the pitcher is releasing the ball.

When does the coach teach the catcher to turn the hand back around to get ready to catch the ball??

Like this?? You put your mitt up as the pitcher is releasing the ball.

Yes, what he has them do is present a relaxed back of the hand to the pitcher for a target, then flip palm outward as the ball is released to catch it.

In a not very scientific manner, you can try it yourself sitting at the computer. Put your left hand up (for right-handers, lol) like a catcher normally holds the mitt (palm out) and you can feel the tightness in the top of your forearm. Now turn your hand so the palm faces back at you with the fingers pointing to the right. You can feel how much more relaxed the forearm is.

katjoebenmom,

Thanks for the additional information. I tried the 2 positions as you described and found no difference in my own arm. However I asked 2 teenage catchers to do the same and both said they noticed slightly less tension with the hand in the position you described.

They both commented that they have no issues with their forearms getting tired in games and would not like this technique as it would dramatically slow down their ability to get their glove to the spot they want to catch the ball.

I would agree with them as well. With the hundreds of catchers I see every year I have never heard of one talking about forearm fatigue. Also I feel the additional time it will take to get the glove turned back towards the pitcher would dramatically hinder good receiving techniques.

I guess I would equate this move as similar to the point of knee savers. Knee savers make it easier on the player but I hate them, I think they make lazy, weak legs. You would be better off doing a bunch of wall sits and other leg strenghtening drills. This is probably easier on the arms, but I would think some strength training would be better, especially for the long run. If you are a catcher you must be strong and have good stamina. A few wrist curls will help strengthen those forearms. Once the girls hit 14-15, there is no harm in them doing a little strength training. Just don't overdo it and bulk up too much, it will slow you down. Repititions are good for toning and strengthening.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I appreciate your opinion and experience.

I was just curious how many were familiar with or using this technique. My dd is not a catcher---the coach (who we have great respect and fondness for) has shown this to several of the girls who have caught for dd's pitching lessons, and it seemed very reasonable to me.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I appreciate your opinion and experience.

I was just curious how many were familiar with or using this technique. My dd is not a catcher---the coach (who we have great respect and fondness for) has shown this to several of the girls who have caught for dd's pitching lessons, and it seemed very reasonable to me.

Hi Kat :) and welcome back!

I'm not familiar with the technique, but it would seem to me that you would eventually fatigue your forearm/wrist more in a game using this technique. Try this experiment. Put on a catchers mitt, set up like a catcher, and flip the glove a hundred times or so (simulating the number of receives in a game), and time how long this process takes. Take a break, then put back on the glove, set up like a catcher, and hold a standard target for the same amount of time that it took to flip the glove one hundred times. The difference you feel is the amount of additional work exerted by the catcher using this technique throughout the game. I personally think the "new" technique just adds additional work the catcher does not need. JMO.....

Len

I guess I would equate this move as similar to the point of knee savers. Knee savers make it easier on the player but I hate them, I think they make lazy, weak legs. You would be better off doing a bunch of wall sits and other leg strenghtening drills. This is probably easier on the arms, but I would think some strength training would be better, especially for the long run. If you are a catcher you must be strong and have good stamina. A few wrist curls will help strengthen those forearms. Once the girls hit 14-15, there is no harm in them doing a little strength training. Just don't overdo it and bulk up too much, it will slow you down. Repititions are good for toning and strengthening.

I agree with this too. Knee Savers are lazy creators... and passed balls or not blocking balls will increase as catcher comfort set's in during a long weekend. I was a catcher since about 9 yrs old and had a good instructor (finally) once in high school and he too taught repetition and muscle toning as mentioned. Caught lots of doubleheaders and played till I was 22 and to this day no knee issues and I also skateboarded competitively for about 8 years. Should have been a double whammy on my knees... core strength is where it's at.

I first saw this when we played Maddogs, but since then I have seen several college catchers doing the same thing. I was wondering what the reasoning was. Now I know. Great post. :yahoo:

Last year at 12u this was a problem. The catchers dropped hard third strikes on regular basis and combined with their inability to throw the runner out consistently was frustrating for the pitchers. My DD didn't even want to pitch when the weaker catcher was behind the plate. It was very discouraging to need 4 or 5 strikeouts an inning.

During a 12U game a few years back, my DD's team didn't have their starting nor their back up catcher for a game. She struck out ten girls in the first inning alone!!