Getting My 12-Year Old a Softball Bat

ezon

Reaction score
My daughter has recently decided to take up softball and we'd like to get her a bat for her birthday as its coming up in the middle of November. I've been trying to read up on sizes to see which one would be suitable for her. She's quite a big girl for her age so from what I'm reading, a 31- 32" bat size should be pretty suitable for her. She's practiced with a 30" and said she could get away with a little bigger so I think that we might go with a 32" as that will hopefully last then for another year or two. I wanted to know which was the best name for not necessarily a budget bat but one that makes the right compromises between cost and quality. I want her to have a decent one as I'm sure it will help her game but I wanted a shortlist I could work with so I can then compare a few and see which one wins overall. So, I'd be very appreciative if anyone on the forum could come up with a few models to check out. I've recently found a decent online site (http://www.canada.for-sale.com) where you can buy sports goods etc, new and second-hand, but unfortunately, their selection of softball bats aren't that great at the moment. It would also be good if I could get some suggestions on a good place to shop for bats too for the best prices. Thanks so much.

attachment.php

Attachments

• High-Quality-Aluminum-Alloy-font-b-Baseball-b-font-font-b-Bat-b-font-Top-Quality.jpg
    High-Quality-Aluminum-Alloy-font-b-Baseball-b-font-font-b-Bat-b-font-Top-Quality.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

snoman76

Reaction score
All girls are different. Idk know where you're from but find a place like SPC sports and have her demo a few and see what she likes. One girl may like the Mako, the next one may prefer the Xeno and the next one will say the CF series is the best.. All the bats are pretty comparable anymore, it's all about what your DD likes... and at 12, its more about how cool it looks and what color it is..

fp4ever

Reaction score
Depends on the girl and what her preferences are, both of my daughters prefer Demarini. If you can't find a demo house maybe have her try a teammates bat out first!

SOFTBALLS14

Reaction score
Website
www.mvxpress.com
I would suggest trying out a few bats from some of your teammates. Most are more that glad to let you give them a swing. My only suggestion is do not get one that is less than a drop-10.....they do not have as much pop off the bat due to the thinner walls.
Then also go to a place like Play It Again, E-bay or ask some of the other players if they have one they are not using that you might be able to buy.Buying a broken in bat is not a bad thing for someone that is starting out. While saving a few bucks now for when you find the RIGHT bat will pay off! Plus if you take a Mr. Clean eraser to it, to clean it up. It can look good as new!!
Then when the new bats start rolling out in a few months, around Feb., you will have a better idea of what bat she might want and one she can hit great with! GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN! ;)

wpaguy

Reaction score
I have used : www.closeoutbats.com ....check there specials ...usually have a great deal on Fridays for fast pitch bats ...yes -10 is the way to go ...but if your 12 year old is on the lighter side and this is her 1st year in fast pitch ...a -11 might be good also ...help with bat speed ...

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
Play it again is a good source. Also they just had an ad about year end closeout on some of their new bats.
You can almost always find a decent used one for a good price. DD picked up an old cf4 for $10 just to use as a cage bat.

wadad

Reaction score
Take her to SPC Sports in mentor. She can try all the bats and they are very helpful with fitting/size as well. There prices are pretty good. As for my D.D. she loves her slugger LXT.

ezon

Reaction score
I have used : www.closeoutbats.com ....check there specials ...usually have a great deal on Fridays for fast pitch bats ...yes -10 is the way to go ...but if your 12 year old is on the lighter side and this is her 1st year in fast pitch ...a -11 might be good also ...help with bat speed ...

OK thanks everyone for chipping in with help and suggestions.

Thanks wpaguy, i'll check the site out you've mentioned.

reagansdaddy

Reaction score
A decent place to start may be Boombah.com. They have some composite bats that would be more economical than starting right off with a Demarini or Louisville Slugger.

Hilliarddad3

Reaction score
Have her stand tall hands at her sides, for length the bat knob should fit into the crack of her wrist, then have her hold it straight out for about 20 seconds.... If it droops, it's too heavy for her.....