How soon?

Parents and players~ how soon after a try-out do you want to hear from a team? Will you make a decision if you are made an offer immediately? Some teams seem to wait weeks while they compile scores while others see what they want and make an offer.

Parents and players~ how soon after a try-out do you want to hear from a team? Will you make a decision if you are made an offer immediately? Some teams seem to wait weeks while they compile scores while others see what they want and make an offer.

One team that my dd is trying out for this season doesn't make any offers until after final tryout date. Not even to returning players. If it's a team your dd knows she wants to play for I would have her make decision within a few day's unless it conflicts with another Org. she interested in playing with. They all seem to do it differently for one reason or another IMHO I would say if you havent heard anything a week after final tryout you probably are not going to....

If they did make an offer We would wait to make a comitment untill DD has went to all try outs that she plans to attend.
As I have seen posted "would you buy a car the first time you went looking for one".Now if she has played before for this team and no other try outs were in our future then yes we would commit.
jmho

Mine tried out, was offered the same night and I asked for a couple days to make a decision. When I called back to discuss it in 2 days, they had given her spot away. That's a tough one to tell your kid!

Sounds to me like you dodged a bullet! If they said they would give you a couple days and didn't you don't want you dd playing there. IMHO

Between now and Spring/Summer there will be lots of opportunities to find a team this is just the beginning.

Agree with MacsMom. It's tough on both sides, coaches need to know players are committed to build their team, and yet players might want to try for multiple teams to find a good fit. Need to do your research to find an organization that is the best fit for the DD and family.

OK - Let's say you have "done your homework" and made a penciled list of 5 teams your DD has decided she'd like to try out for. This list is prioritized - #1 being most desirable, #5 the least. Since it's rare she'd be lucky enough to have the tryouts in order of priority (#1 first), you can still make a priority based decision.

If team #2 is your first tryout, why not take an "on the spot" offer? If she finds that this team "stinks", there's always next year.

Team #3 is a coin flip. (Again - always next year)

Teams #4 & #5 is where I'd wait for a shot at #1, #2 or #3 before making a hasty decision. But instead of sitting around waiting for the team tryout, I'd suggest calling the coaches of #1 & #2 and ask for a private tryout. If she REALLY wants to play for her #1 choice, it's worth the effort.

It's not Rocket Science, but the people that have the most problems with this are the gamblers. Always waiting for something better to come along - waiting on a phone call that may never come. Last in line are guaranteed to get the leftovers.

Ok heres a question lets say DD tries out and coach says he likes everything he sees and you can call him in a few days when the org. originaly says they will have an answer in 7 days. You call in a few days and they want her to come to the next tryout for an additional tryout.

Would you say that they really want another look or just want to see how dedicated they are to the team?

Personally I think this could potentialy weed out your tryout. I think some girls would get offended at the request of another tryout and not show up since it is tryout season and tryout for other teams. I say if she really wanted to be on that team she would go if she just wants to be on a team then keep tryin out!! Savvy?

My dd was asked to come back for a second tryout. There wasn't any resentment at all. At the second tryout the coach gave the explanation for why she wasn't made an offer fully on day one. We were totally okay with that. ;)

I think it's foolish to NOT go to other tryouts in that situation - especially if the team making the request for a second look isn't your #1 choice. Definitely go to other tryouts. If you get a great offer, take it! Otherwise your DD may be left with making a choice between less desirable teams.

let me ask you this what if a girl shows up twice to a tryout once on her own then once when she was asked back then the team offers up a position on that team then the girl says well i need more time for other tryous were does the org. loyalty to the offer end

I think that if an organization that you tried out for offers you a spot and you say you need a few days to discuss the offer with dd and family then the organization should honor that few days. On the other hand, if you try out for a team and they offer you a spot and you tell them that you are still planning on other try outs, there should not be any hard feelings if that spot gets offered to another player. By telling a coach that you are still going to go to tryouts when he/she offered you a spot tells them that his/her team is not your number one choice and most likely you will not be playing for the team if a better offer comes along. So, he needs to keep looking, especially in the key positions of Pitcher/Catcher.

What about the coaches? If you wait for a player to think it over you may lose that player and lose the next player because you had to wait. The entire dynamic of a team can change with getting or losing 3 players:eek:

With college coaches, the offer is often only good until the coach finds another player that will commit. My daughter had a few coaches make offers that told her if she didn't accept that they would not guarantee that the position would be there when she made her decision.

It has been mentioned on other similar threads that this should be similar to buying a car.

From the consumers point, I want to find the best deal. From the salesman's point, I want to sell cars. While you go looking for a good deal, I am going to sell that car to the first one that shows up with money. It might have been a sweetheart of a deal. One that comes along once in a lifetime but while you were out looking for a better deal, I sold it to the next guy.

In today's world, you can find the best deal before you even leave the house. There is no reason that you cannot do this with softball. Do your research before tryouts. Coaches post their email or phone numbers so call them and ask questions before tryouts. You will weed out the majority of teams before you leave the house.

From a coaches point of view, they have to build a team and get it ready for the first fall tournament in September. That's just 3-4 weeks away. They will make an offer, give you a day or 2 to consider it, and then move on.

If they did make an offer We would wait to make a comitment untill DD has went to all try outs that she plans to attend.
As I have seen posted "would you buy a car the first time you went looking for one".Now if she has played before for this team and no other try outs were in our future then yes we would commit.
jmho

I agree with this one. And that is what my dd is doing this year during tryouts.

In a perfect world all consumers would get good information. Alll coaches would be honest and fair like Bill, who I call a friend. . The problem today , they are not. So let's say you take the offer, no longer go to tryouts and then the coach calls you back three weeks later and tells you we no longer want you on the team! Your second team you thought about going to tryouts is now full. I always took the coaches point of view in the past, , but some people it is no longer about the kids, it is all about winning at any cost.

Yep. Sets a poor standard for a 10 or 11 year olds future view of athletics too.