How to handle hitting instruction

snuffleupagus

Reaction score
So I’ve been taking my daughter to a hitting coach. This year she’s on a new team. Her new coach is offering advice which at times is contrary to what her hitting coach says. I know he’s only trying to help her and I do appriciate that but don’t want her to get confused or to spend money on a hitting coach when the team coach undoes the instruction. How have you guys handled this type of thing?

Morgan Sky

Reaction score
Stay with what your hitting coach is teaching if he has proven success with his technique.

JoeA1010

Reaction score
Assuming the coach of the team is not teaching something unsafe or unethical, either have her listen to what the coach wants and make a good faith effort to do it or else remove her from the team.

OFCHeat07

Reaction score
Talk to the coach and explain what the instructor is teaching her. Everyone has an opinion/theory on hitting instruction, doesn't mean they are always right. But if the coach knows what the instructor is teaching, he will either enable your daughter to improve by helping with that, or go against it. Then you can decide what you do from there. I think leaving the team is a bit harsh.

snuffleupagus

Reaction score
Yeah leaving the team isnt something I’d consider.

Good advice. I’ll talk to the coach and explain what her instructor is telling her. It had made a huge improvement in her hitting from last season so I’d like to keep her going down that road. I believe the team coach would direct her as her instructor does if he knows what she’s being taught.

22dad

Reaction score
Probably a conversation your daughter should have with the coach.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
What age are we talking and, what changes are we talking?

Most A level 14 and above "if they have a history of success and are contributing to the team" have no reason for a coach to try to change hitting style.

Under 14, sometimes a kid can have success but still have holes in there swing where a little tweaking could help when they start facing top competition after 12u.

I would suggest having DD if 14 or older discuss with the coach pros and cons on what changes are being made. You have to understand even some 14/15s struggle with connections and changes so, make sure DD is 100% in the understanding of what her coach is wanting.
Sometimes they think it is a major change and in reality its a minor adjustment.