What's the call...

google1

Reaction score
Batter squares to bunt .... makes a complete offer but misses the ball ... it was an inside pitch... ball hits the batter in the forearm...

Is this a strike for the offer or award 1st HBP?

google1

Reaction score
That's what I said but the umpire awarded 1st base.
His reasoning was that if the pitch would have been in the "strike zone" it would have been a strike but since it was an inside pitch "out of the strike zone" the pitcher is award the base HBP. Regardless if the batter offered or not!

I never heard that before and honestly had to just laugh it off hahaha

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
HA! That's bad. I'm not sure I would have let it go unless it was a friendly.

During Friendlies are when coaches should make sure these Umpires are made aware of how they are not applying the rules correctly!
No need to go crazy or make a scene - But have a rule book handy & when the game is over & away from the field - make sure you let them know they need to brush up on the rules!!!
While, it is no biggie during the friendly - it could save a team from getting the screw job next Spring!

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
It's also why in "games that matter" a coach should be able to lodge an official protest without being charged an insane protest fee.

FastBat

Reaction score
Batter squares to bunt .... makes a complete offer but misses the ball ... it was an inside pitch... ball hits the batter in the forearm...

Is this a strike for the offer or award 1st HBP?

I'm just playing devils advocate here: But, what if, the batter squares up to bunt, realizes it's too inside, then while slightly pulling her bat back get's hit in the forearm. If the pitcher was a fast righty with a curve, and the batter was a lefty, it would be a last minute decision. I believe, this should be considered one of those "grey" area's of umping, where the ump's opinion determines the outcome of the play. The ump might have thought she realized it was too inside and had slightly pulled the bat back, unfortunately grey area's can't be argued.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Here's the decision the umpire needs to make: Did the batter attempt to hit the pitch or didn't she. That first judgment is the key and it should be the same judgment whether the pitch hit the batter or not.

If you judge that she did, then dead ball, strike.

If you judge that she didn't, then dead ball, award first base (assuming the ball is not in the strike zone, etc).

HeyBlue!

Reaction score
I agree, BretMan. It requires an umpires judgment. If you judge that she offered and it hits her (or any part of her uniform or helmet), then dead ball strike.

Last season I had a girl up with two strikes, two outs and bases loaded. Batter swings and misses at an inside pitch. The ball hits the sleeve of her jersey during her swing attempt and bounces away from the catcher seemingly allowing her to reach first and a run to score. Unfortunately it was a dead ball strike, so no run, inning over.