you can't teach this

During a normal 'Off Season' Week, my 12 year old dd will travel over an hour after school, grabing a sandwich and water bottle, twice a week for practice. She will go to her hitting coach at least once a month, more depending on how much is going on. Play an indoor spring league once a week. (sound familiar to anyone out there??) On her off days, she hits the basement gym where she works out and does batting drills. Now, the season is in full swing and due to a broken plastic water line to the ice maker ( while out of town for softball ) the basement gym is out of commission and mom and dad are overloaded, dealing with insurance, contractors, work and softball. On the way to her hitting coach yesterday, she looked at her dad and said "dad, I don't have any time". So he went into the I know - You play ball and practice all the time, you don't have any time with your friends - blah blah blah. She looked at him like he was completely stupid and said - no, the basement flooded, I don't have any time to do my batting drills - That is a passion for softball you can't teach.

Now if you can get her to ignore "boys", you have a winner.

When I coached 18u, I had a player that would show up in full bloom (makeup, nails done, ribbon holding her pony tail). I knew when she was warming up (a pitcher), she had her boyfriend in the bleacher. It was a classic case of "Barbie" vs any team we were playing. LOL, by the end of the day, her nails were chipped, bow was missing, and mascera and makeup was smugged.... the boyfriend came down and said .................... "You look more beautiful now than you did before the day began". LOL, I asked the young man to make sure he was at every game. (He played travel baseball - perfect fit for a travel softball player)