Catching and Catchers discussion Catcher Throwing Arm Position

My daughter is a catcher and it seems every year someone is trying to change where she keeps her throwing arm when in her catcher's position. We have gone from behind the back, to tucked under the thigh and then back to behind her back. Now we are being told that the best position for her throwing hand is behind her mitt which we were told not to do previously. My thinking is she should do what she feels most comfortable with but I want her to have the quickest release she can while staying safe. So I am curious as to what the majority find most effective and safe for the throwing arm????

Behind the back as it could still be hit behind the glove from an instinct reaction or a bad pitch.....as she gets older she wil get quicker but you have to protect the throwing hand at all costs!

Dd puts her throwing hand on her ankle so that it is protected. After receiving the ball, she brings her mitt back and her throwing hand more or less straight up so that she can transfer the ball near her throwing position (next to her mask).

My DD keeps her throwing arm relaxed at her side so her hand falls about at the ankle position too. It protected by her leg when in the crouch. I have always taught her that the glove to hand transition happens near the top at her chin level. Keeping her hand behind her mitt would not make her faster in the transition. therefore there is no real advantage to that. in fact, I would argue that on a ball wide to either side her glove will separate from her hand to catch those balls, leaving her throwing hand subject to a foul ball.

Behind the back as it could still be hit behind the glove from an instinct reaction or a bad pitch.....as she gets older she wil get quicker but you have to protect the throwing hand at all costs!

It will come down to where it feels natural, just protect it.

The throwing hand is an instrument of warfare. A weapon so to speak. Weapons must be cleaned, checked and always kept safe & well protected.
I see what the NECC says. You can ask 10 pitching coaches about pitching styles and you will probably get 10 different answers. Same with hitting techniques.
As a catching instructor myself I subscribe to the theory that says you protect that hand (and arm) at all costs. The only time that hand NEEDS to be in front of the body is when it is helping to block balls, but again it is protected by placing it behind the glove in the 5 hole when blocking balls. I teach that all other times that had is to be free from accidental injury, foul tips, foul balls, etc. The hand doesn't need to be near the glove because in the event the catcher needs to make a quick throw to a base (steal or pick-off) the transfer from glove to throwing hand happens at the ear anyway not out in front of the body.
I'm sure this technique will stir quite a bit of disagreement and that is fine. To each their own.
To the original poster...protect that hand at all costs. Keep it out of the way. There is one position on the field that is not only allowed, but encouraged to catch the ball with one hand...you guessed it. The catcher.
Catching lessons will be available at an indoor facility in Lancaster starting November 2013. Feel free to PM me for more information. The facility isn't open yet so I'm not making full-blown announcements about it. However, it will be open. Nov 2 is the grand opening. We will have 8,000 square feet of training space including an area long enough to practice full throws to 2B.

I think its a comfort thing but I personally prefer behind the thigh. I don't like behind the glove because there is greater chance of injury to the hand.

Now if that disastrous time comes that the hand gets injured due to blocking or whatever reason, talk with the doctor to cast it in the throwing grip position for a speedier recovery.....;) it worked.....

When I was a New York City cab driver 15 years ago, I tripped getting out of my car one night, and broke the middle finger on my right hand when I landed on a parking brick. I asked the doctor to set my finger in a certain position inside the cast that would best suit my career.

Thanks for all the posts. Hopefully if anyone else was hearing the same thing it answered the question for them as well. My daughter is comfortable behind the back and I figured it was more in the transition of the ball as she is throwing down to second base 2.1-2.4 seconds at 12 years old.

Nice pop time, mjmm.
Seriously people? That post about the broken middle finger was funny as heck & I get no love?
:)