Commitment

snoman76

Reaction score
As each year passes it seems that the word "commitment" means less and less to people. Some people say that the player is not on your team until money has changed hands. I 100% disagree. In my opinion, once a player accepts an offer that is the commitment. There are too many kids out there accepting offers then a day later rescinding that commitment to play. I wonder how the player and her parents would feel if a coach would call them a day later and tell them they are taking back their offer and she is not on the team anymore? I know exactly what would happen. The parents, in so many words, would say "We turned down other teams offers because she wanted to play for you. Now what is she going to do?" Coaches say the exact same thing when a girl bails on her commitment. "Now what are we going to do? We've told girls no because Suzy said she would play for us and now she's gone." Tryouts are no fun for the girls, parents or coaches so let's not make things more difficult than they already are.

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
Sno - The sad part is that teams do rescind offers I've seen it happen... - Though more often they just string along players - "We like what we see - Come back to our tryouts" "Oh she was great we'll let you know in just a couple days, What uniform number did you want?" When in reality she is third or fourth player down the chart for that position and they are just not positive they will get one of the three girls above her.
The other thing that kills me is coaches not straight out saying "We don't want you" (Maybe in a nicer way then that) because it makes the coach feel bad to have to tell the girl they are looking for something else - So the girl holds out hope and misses out on opportunity because her #1 didn't say no. This is especially bad for returning players who think they are coming back but the team decides to 'go in a different direction'

I HATE AUGUST - I agree with you It stinks for Girls, Parents, Coaches and organizations - almost across the board.

mike_dyer

Reaction score
I've got a great story about "commitment" from the other side. I really wish I was at liberty to tell it.

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
will have to say i'm proud of the DD for showing such a level of commitment as she does.
she stuck it out because she knew that when she signed, she had signed for the season. she's more mature than i can give myself credit for!!
she hung in there and now has the spot she's wanted for a long time. things have a way of working out in the long run sometimes!!

snoman76

Reaction score
Sno - The sad part is that teams do rescind offers I've seen it happen... - Though more often they just string along players - "We like what we see - Come back to our tryouts" "Oh she was great we'll let you know in just a couple days, What uniform number did you want?" When in reality she is third or fourth player down the chart for that position and they are just not positive they will get one of the three girls above her.
The other thing that kills me is coaches not straight out saying "We don't want you" (Maybe in a nicer way then that) because it makes the coach feel bad to have to tell the girl they are looking for something else - So the girl holds out hope and misses out on opportunity because her #1 didn't say no. This is especially bad for returning players who think they are coming back but the team decides to 'go in a different direction'

I HATE AUGUST - I agree with you It stinks for Girls, Parents, Coaches and organizations - almost across the board.

I know that coaches do that as well and that is just as wrong. Stringing players along is just as bad.

As a coach, if you give a timeline, stick to it. At the very least tell them where you are with your decision or what you're thinking. I would rather be told that my DD doesn't have a good chance of making the team than not knowing anything. I've seen the outcome of players getting strung along and its heartbreaking for the girls and parents.

Long Baller

Reaction score
Or how about the coach that says: "Well...I really can't give you the rest of the weekend to think about it. A player of (insert your DD's name here)'s caliber is too hard to replace. I need to start shuffling things around immediately if she isn't coming over. So what's it going to be? Huh? Huh? HUH?????? Hold on, I need to take this call... It's little Sally's dad from Ohio Diamond Snakes 01 Red Extreme Platinum Premier. Little Sally's a stud a stud ya know..."

Irish196

Reaction score
As each year passes it seems that the word "commitment" means less and less to people. Some people say that the player is not on your team until money has changed hands. I 100% disagree. In my opinion, once a player accepts an offer that is the commitment. There are too many kids out there accepting offers then a day later rescinding that commitment to play. I wonder how the player and her parents would feel if a coach would call them a day later and tell them they are taking back their offer and she is not on the team anymore? I know exactly what would happen. The parents, in so many words, would say "We turned down other teams offers because she wanted to play for you. Now what is she going to do?" Coaches say the exact same thing when a girl bails on her commitment. "Now what are we going to do? We've told girls no because Suzy said she would play for us and now she's gone." Tryouts are no fun for the girls, parents or coaches so let's not make things more difficult than they already are.
It has happened to us before, in fact twice. I don't believe there a great deal of commitment on either end these days both at tryout time and during the season. : / I think there is the same lack of commitment between organizations and coaches and vice versa.

Last edited:

JoeA1010

Reaction score
Commitment in travel ball has gotten far worse over time, on both sides of the equation. Same goes for college softball. Fortunately, most families and coaches do believe in commitment, but even if it's only 30% who don't, it feels like it's 80%. I think if I were still coaching travel ball I might just tell everybody that everyone is a free agent at all times and we're liable to replace you at any time. It seems like it would be more upfront and put the committed type of people on an equal footing with the uncommitted.

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly, wake up people, the whole concept of commitment is from a by gone era, morals and standards are the exception rather than the rule in everyday life now, why would you be so surprised to see it in softball?

Trust no one...

streak2010

Reaction score
Last year after tryouts I had a family bail after agreeing. The coach of her soon to be new team told her a verbal commitment means nothing. I allowed that family extra time to get their deposit in because of a hardship. No biggie, as you said morals and commitment may be dwindling BUT them bailing afterwards told me they didn't have the character and commitment we require on our team. So it all ends the way it should and we weren't stuck with those traits on our team.

SOFTBALLS14

Reaction score
Website
www.mvxpress.com
The commitment come from the coaches of that team to the players ..... If you get a girl to commit good! Then get them to want to stay with your team !!!
Those that don't.... it is know loss!! As they will find another team to be miserable on!! Move On!!
If they don't want to commit or stay then are they really worth worrying about I think not As a college coach told me a long time ago ...
;) "There is always another Freshman waiting to replace you" ;) JMO... Good luck!!

manitoudan

Reaction score
Trust but verify , said by the greatest president of my lifetime .. by faaaaaaaaaaaar.

Reaction score
It's just bad all the way around. Navigating multiple offers that don't come in at the same time but all want answers in 24 hours is very stressful.
I'm not sure what the solution is! We need a 'travel ball commitment day' or something! August could use a holiday!

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
The key is depth...I have seen what you have described play out many times over the years on both ends. Happens at all levels even college.
Yes, Its stinks when you get a commitment and the family bails for one reason or another. I had to deal with this a couple of times over the years myself.

My advice is try not to put all your eggs in one basket or hopes that a stud is going to take your team over the top. Make sure you have a roster that is 12 to 14 in size.
Have players that can play several positions and do not be afraid to use them. (This is a issue I have seen a lot more than players not fulfilling their commitment where coaches pigeon hole players especially those 14U and under).

With pitching never go with two... and you are rolling the dice with three 14 and above....
Remember, all teams are an injury away from losing a star and that can be equally devastating to a team so it is much easier to talk to your team when you go from 14 to 13 than 11 to 10...

FastBat

Reaction score
My advice is try not to put all your eggs in one basket or hopes that a stud is going to take your team over the top...
Have players that can play several positions and do not be afraid to use them...
All teams are an injury away from losing a star...
/\/\/\Good stuff!

IMHO, for parents going through tryouts, we should be ready for anything and patient. Don't get offended if a team takes some time to think about your dd. They are probably doing that with all of or a majority of the players. That might be your first sign, it could be a very good team, because it is being put together with some thought. Also, I wouldn't want any team to feel stuck with my dd because they offered a position and they weren't 100% sure. However, if the team isn't offering after their official tryouts are over, I wouldn't wait too long.

Last edited:

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
We have tried all along to teach our DD to follow through on what she starts, be it orchestra, travel ball dance etc.
Kids need to learn about following thru on commitments , and ours has done a very good job over the years. As I said before there have been a few times she has done better at dealing with her frustrations than I have, and she's come out much more mature and confident because of it.
That being said, this tryout season was probably the best she's had, offers and short listing from every tryout she did. And the coaches were all quick to either offer or ask to see her again, and we were honest enough with them to let them know as soon as any decisions were made. It made for a lot of honest open feedback both ways, and no hard feelings anywhere from what I saw.
She picked her dream team with a great org and her confidence has gone even higher. Add to that a couple of great camps and the kid is so happy, and as a parent it sure makes me feel good to see her progress and maturity, not only in ball, but holding down a new job and showing a lot of responsibility.

coachjwb

Reaction score
All I can say is that when I hear statements like that commitment is from a gone by era, I know then that I did the right thing leaving coaching when I did. Not criticizing anyone ... it's just not a concept I can be at peace with in coaching or in life. Maybe it's semantics but I think it's important to distinguish between the concepts of loyalty and commitment ... loyalty is a quality people can choose or not choose to value ... commitment is a promise and a person is only as good as their word.