Does a new pitcher have to take a warmup pitch mid at bat?

Reaction score
Recently in a tournament, my team is playing a close gam facing a pitcher consistently hitting low 60's. Now in a big spot my batter fouls off several pitches each one inching closer and closer to the left field line. Opposing coach switches pitchers mid at bat, coach refuses her warmup tosses and strikes out my batter. Umpire allowed this to take place...it was a good strategy if legal

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Recently in a tournament, my team is playing a close gam facing a pitcher consistently hitting low 60's. Now in a big spot my batter fouls off several pitches each one inching closer and closer to the left field line. Opposing coach switches pitchers mid at bat, coach refuses her warmup tosses and strikes out my batter. Umpire allowed this to take place...it was a good strategy if legal

If the pitcher or the coach didn't want any warm-up pitches what would make you think that would be illegal????

Who was the 14U pitcher hitting in the 60's every pitch? I'm sure everyone will want to follow her in the next few years..........

BCsoftballDad

Reaction score
From the situation you describe I wonder why the other coach just didn't call a change-up low and away? A 14U pitcher consistently hitting low 60's indicates a very hard working and talented pitcher, which would indicate she probably has other pitches as well. As your batter got her timing closer and closer it set up the perfect scenario for an off speed pitch. Sorry, I got a little off topic.