Fall ball/high school/Allowed to play?

Discussion in 'High School Softball JV - VR' started by DynastyFastpitch, Aug 10, 2018 at 2:28 AM.

1. I know this has come up in the past but I have literally asked 4 different coaches in the past week and have had 4 different answers. So here goes.....

Can a full roster of high school girls from the same high school (a mix of jv/varsity/10-11 girls total) players play other high school teams made up of the same thing (doubleheaders) on the weekends in Sept. and Oct. and taking turns playing on eachothers fields? Is that considered open fields?
    ****************The teams have NONE/ZERO/ZILCH high school coaches. The teams have parents coaching it. Seems the 4 player rule comes into play but is that only if a coach from the high school coaches it?

Answers I have been told:
    1.)Yes, allowed
    2.)No, not allowed
    3.) Only 4 players from same team on each team
    4.) Can only have "open field" on their own field, so no can't be done

**Again, NO high school coaches involved.

Does anyone know with 100% certainty? Thanks!

2. BA824

BA824 Member

No you can’t.

You can
    1. Have open fields no instruction
    2. Give instruction with HS coach following individual instruction 4 at a time
    3. Girls can play travel together in Fall but limit 4 from a school. HS coach can now coach that travel team as well

MadT likes this.
  3. Stedman00

Stedman00 Member

definately falls within the 4 player rule. doesn't matter who coaches the team. cannot have more than 4 girls playing together in fall, that will then be on same school team come spring.

basically, BA824 nailed it above.

4. finfan365

finfan365 Member

But, this rule does not apply to indoor, correct?

5. finfan365

finfan365 Member

Actually, I disagree with myself, I think. i looked back through where I thought I read this exception and couldn't find it.
    I thought I had read on OHSAA something about an exception to the 4 player rule, for indoor play.

6. Stedman00

Stedman00 Member

I'm pretty sure that indoor play is entirely different. else how could all these teams play indoors at Sinclair every Feb???

7. finfan,

So if a high school team plays inside, they are allowed, just not allowed if they play outside? Seems silly, playing under the sun, no. Playing under a roof, yes. Very confusing for sure.

8. MadT

MadT Member

Participation in Indoor Softball is not a violation of OHSAA Non-interscholastic Sports Regulation 7.3 if played indoors from Nov. 1, 2017 –
    February 1, 2018, for student-athletes. But the 4 player rule is in play.

9. BA824

BA824 Member

Indoors different as OHSAA doesn’t recognize indoor. Can play together Nov 1 to Feb 1 but HS coach can’t coach

10. finfan365

finfan365 Member

Yes that was my thought.
    I could be mistaken. I just remember reading a rule regarding the 4 player rule and seeing some caviat stating “does not apply to indoors”. But I cannot find it now so the rule could have been changed or my memory faulty.