Seriously???

Did you read the Dispatch story today of the Pickerington Kid 8th grader highly recruited in Bball already with major d1 offers. I can't believe the dad thinks he should be telling the coach and AD where to play the kid because colleges want to see her bring the ball up the court versus playing where the school coach wants her. He didn't get his way, so he took the kid and transferred to their sister school..... I feel for her future AD's and Coaches. Yeah she's 6'1 now and towers the other kids, so post is where she'd be for me too.

Parents you don't run school teams, so shut up and watch your kid play......... This stuff turns my stomach....

Totally agree HDD, this and open enrollment, transfers will be the undoing of HS sports.

I'm not nearly as annoyed about hearing that a parent sent their kid(s) to another school as I am annoyed about the way they lie and say that d1 programs are actively recruiting kids who are barely out of the womb.

Here are the rules. Learn them and call people out on lies like this:

2013-14 Recruiting Calendars - NCAA.org

Sorry folks, NCAA d1 schools ARE NOT risking losing athletic scholarships for 12 year olds. Not even the one who lives in your house.

I'm not nearly as annoyed about hearing that a parent sent their kid(s) to another school as I am annoyed about the way they lie and say that d1 programs are actively recruiting kids who are barely out of the womb.

Here are the rules. Learn them and call people out on lies like this:

2013-14 Recruiting Calendars - NCAA.org

Are you saying that D1 schools aren't recruiting very young players, and telling the where to play - both in HS and travel?

Sorry folks, NCAA d1 schools ARE NOT risking losing athletic scholarships for 12 year olds. Not even the one who lives in your house.

certain coaches with their jobs on the line may take a risk... Especially in men's basketball. Not so much in other sports.

Are you saying that D1 schools aren't recruiting very young players, and telling the where to play - both in HS and travel?

I'm saying that it is against NCAA rules for a coach to even so much as make a phone call to a kid before November of their junior year of high school. There are a couple of exceptions. Men's basketball can make a phone call after June 10th of the Sophomore year, for example. There is an exception for ice hockey.

Ask Jim Tressel and tOSU what happens when you don't follow NCAA rules. To think that they are risking THAT for 10 year olds in nonrevenue sports is hilarious!

They may not be calling the kids directly, but young athletes talk to coaches all the time, and it is perfectly legit. Now a 10 year old...never heard of that.

Story time.

My kid's team played in a fall "showcase." There was a kid on another team, her dad likes to tell these kinds of tall tales. Every college coach has been recruiting his kid for years. She's 12 or 13 now.

I don't know the guy but a lot of the parents who have kids on our team do. The story was that a lot of D1 coaches were coming there to watch her. Then a lot became a few. Then a few became 1. But yeah, that 1 would definately be there. I was happy. I figured that when this coach wasn't even seen standing up by the fence during one of their games I wouldn't have to hear about it anymore. There were a couple of games played on Friday night, not very many though. On Saturday morning the kid's dad told everyone about how that coach came out on friday night and clocked her whilst she pitched to him on a bucket, said something like "I've seen EVERYTHING that I need to see", gave him 2 tickets to their next home football game, and then split.

You wouldn't believe how many people, all of them adults, believed that.

but young athletes talk to coaches all the time, and it is perfectly legit.

We have gone from coaches recruiting kids in junior high to kids talking to college coaches.

That's not the same thing. It's not even close.

Ask Jim Tressel and tOSU what happens when you don't follow NCAA rules. To think that they are risking THAT for 10 year olds in nonrevenue sports is hilarious!
FYI - NCAA contact rules don't apply until they start classes for 9th grade (i.e. become a prospective student-athlete).

13.02.4 Contact. A contact is any face-to-face encounter between a prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete's parents, relatives or legal guardians and an institutional staff member or athletics representativeduring which any dialogue occurs in excess of an exchange of a greeting. ...

13.02.12 Prospective Student-Athlete. A prospective student-athlete is a student who has started classes for the ninth grade. ...

They LEGALLY work around the rules after that - communicate via a 3rd party (e.g. TB coach) and have the kid call them. It happens all the time.

Basketball is a little different, the aau coaches a lot of times are in direct contact with college coaches and have close relationships with them. my nephew was in jr. high and college coaches had been in close contact with his aau coaches, they are to go between.

We have gone from coaches recruiting kids in junior high to kids talking to college coaches.

That's not the same thing. It's not even close.

I am not trying to be a pain - I just can't follow what you are trying to get to.

Basketball is a little different, the aau coaches a lot of times are in direct contact with college coaches and have close relationships with them. my nephew was in jr. high and college coaches had been in close contact with his aau coaches, they are to go between.

Same with softball

When i say close contact i mean the aau coaches guide these kids to the school or schools they have the better relationship with $$$.

I am not trying to be a pain - I just can't follow what you are trying to get to.

Flarays I think you are confused because there are some who still believe that "recruiting" means starting in July of the player's junior year, college coaches begin driving up to games in a big red softball recruiting bus and announce, "hi... I am here to offer your daughter a scholarship." I'm not sure I follow why talking and recruiting are "not even close" either.

Although I am sure there are numerous "tall tales" from parents who's 12-13 y/o daughters are supposedly being recruited by major D1 universities, it would be wrong to imply there are not some 13 y/o softball player families communicating with college coaches. It would also be wrong to imply that communication is not occurring through perfectly legal channels. If that's not recruiting then what is it? How else could we have players verbaled by their freshman year to a PAC-12 school???

They had pictures of her letters from schools in the article as well, it was a three page story...... Insane ......

I have heard of at least 2 NEW Freshman - who will not play their first high school softball game till March 2014 - already verballed to Div. I schools..............

They had pictures of her letters from schools in the article as well, it was a three page story...... Insane ......

thats how Divas are made... Of course if I had a Son who was 6'3" as an 8th grader and was all world in basketball, I might be. Hard to live with. ;&

I have heard of at least 2 NEW Freshman - who will not play their first high school softball game till March 2014 - already verballed to Div. I schools..............

I have no issue with the verbal portions, just the portions of the story where the dad is telling the coach where the kid should play...... The coach can set the example and stop any nonsense by sitting the kid and proving who's in charge. yes it would hurt the kid, but that dad has to go..........