Running bases in reverse question

Matt Maxwell

Reaction score
Ran into a situation in fall ball where runner on third came home on a sac fly. Ump initially calls her safe at home, run scored. Opposing team’s coach (without calling time to appeal) says she didn’t tag up. Ump reverses his call tells runner to return to third. She does before the ball. Then opposing team’s coach says she didn’t touch home again before returning to third ball is thrown home and runner on third is declared out.

Aside from the huge mess of overturned calls, does the runner have to touch home again before returning to third safely? There is no base to advance to as home is final. I saw that as third to home to third no bases run out of order. Runner safe at third. Am I wrong? Explanation?

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
If she advanced to and passed home, then she has to touch home on her way back to third.

The rest of this play...what a mess! :confused:

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
This applies for any bases, not just home. For instance:

Runner on first base is stealing. Fly ball hit to outfield that is caught. Runner is between second and third base when she realizes that she had to go back to first.

She has to touch second base on her way back to first. If she doesn’t, then she is subject to an appeal for missing the base and can be called out.

Matt Maxwell

Reaction score
I understand with first to third that you have to continue backwards around the base path touching all bases in reverse order. Wasn’t sure if you could really advance beyond home as there isn’t another base after it.
Thanks for clearing that up.