Umpire Ruling Question

Ok softball minded friends: ground ball hit to SS she dives and nicks the ball with glove. It ricochets and hits runner behind her moving from 2nd to 3rd. Is that not a live ball? Umpire said doesn't matter if it passed fielder or not the runner is out if the ball touchers her. Am I confused or was that rule changed recently?

you are correct and next time tell them thats great all my girls gotta do then is hit the runner like kick ball then no need to even have someone on base to catch it lol

First off as soon as she nicked the ball with glove and ball got behind her that rule is not in effect any longer.

Maybe we can adopt Wiffle Ball rules and just throw the ball at the runner and she will be out if we hit her.

Saw the opposite happen today at Berliner. Ball hit to shortstop. Shortstop moving towards second to field ball. Runner is advancing from 2nd to 3rd. Batted ball hits runner in leg/foot. Shortstop never touches ball, and in fact, has to change direction and chase ricocheted ball into shallow left field. Runner called safe supposedly because "shortstop was making a play on the ball."
Initially, runner was called out by field umpire. 3rd base coach argued. Field and plate umpires had conference. Runner ultimately called safe.

Ok softball minded friends: ground ball hit to SS she dives and nicks the ball with glove. It ricochets and hits runner behind her moving from 2nd to 3rd. Is that not a live ball? Umpire said doesn't matter if it passed fielder or not the runner is out if the ball touchers her. Am I confused or was that rule changed recently?

Nope, no rule changes on this one.

The umpire had part of it right- on this play it doesn't matter if the ball had passed a fielder or not. Because that is a different rule!

If a runner is unavoidably hit by a batted ball that has already been touched by a fielder, the runner is not out...unless judged to have intentionally contacted the ball. The ball remains live...play on and get what you get! This is regardless of if the ball had passed a fielder or not. This was a deflected batted ball...different rule and ruling!

So...how did the protest turn out? :rolleyes:

Saw the opposite happen today at Berliner. Ball hit to shortstop. Shortstop moving towards second to field ball. Runner is advancing from 2nd to 3rd. Batted ball hits runner in leg/foot. Shortstop never touches ball, and in fact, has to change direction and chase ricocheted ball into shallow left field. Runner called safe supposedly because "shortstop was making a play on the ball."
Initially, runner was called out by field umpire. 3rd base coach argued. Field and plate umpires had conference. Runner ultimately called safe.

Now on this one, it does matter if the ball passed the fielder or not. Since this was an untouched batted ball, the past the fielder thing does come into play.

If they changed this call because the ball had passed F6, then they got it right. If the did get it right, then the explanation was a little off. The runner should have been safe if the ball was past the fielder when it hit her, but not just because "the shortstop was making a play on the ball".

No protest I got a little too heated and lost track of thought when I was almost ejected. Learned a new lesson. Thanks for the replies.