worst try-outs

well Im very disappointed in the few try-outs Ive been to this past few weeks seems like they were all very unorganized . and they looked more like a rec practice than a try -out maybe its the age 12u but .... lots of wasted time and dumb drills that dont seem to show what the kids are able to do ..... i just feel that 12u coaches should not be correcting kids on there swings or at bats and there throwing over hand . they want it done like this or like that ... and it just seemed to take a good kid make them really nervous and then they hold back or its screws them all up ...... i wood rather see a hard run balls out try-out lets see what you got and can bring to the team .... if we like what we see and you make the team then coach them into how you want them to swing or throw ...... i watched these coaches correct 3 kids that looked like really good players and after that they were all jacked up and there confidents was gone . im so glad it wasnt my kid . but the girls were just trying to adjust to what they thought the coaches wanted and it was not good .....
again small adjustments like get down in front of that ball or make sure you use both hands or charge that ball harder . is all fine and good but ... these guys were like trying to reteach the art of throwing a ball and it turned into a train rec for some good kids ....... thats all ....

Here's the thing about that... These 10u and 12u girls by the time they are 16u.. are having knee problems... and most of it stems from not learning to throw the ball properly and weight distribution. Same with hitting and their knees.

The Cleveland Clinic did a study with other area facilities and found out this is where most injuries come from... when they were not taught the proper way to hit or throw a ball while at a young age.

You might want to rethink your postition on these coaches teaching the proper mechanics of throwing and hitting.... cause I hoping they might have taught the proper way.. to which.. it saves your DD's knees for later down the road.

great info..... but i feel you have totally missed my point !

these are tryouts, not the first day of practice. Run them through the drills with the abilities they have. then make your evaluations.

I can understand where your coming from. But in the coaches defense(being one myself) we are also looking at how the girl reacts and picks up on what we are trying to teach them. A lot of kids are really good atheletes, but are totally uncoachable! I agree with you it could mess them up a little but when we do it thats our principle behind the madness!!

They might be wanting to correct them and see if they are coachable as well. Looking for potential as well. Coachable is a big thing.

Drills... each has their own when having tryouts..

You might go to one and the drills are different than another tryout..

But, teaching proper methods to hit and thrown and weight shift..... well that is all about the game. Just because the "new" way to do it might have indeed was rough on any DD.. but seeing if she would do it for the coach... when asked.. well that is now coachable and that is a big plus to any coach.

I want a coachable kid on my team.. and no better place to find out it is so... than tryouts.

pride i can totally agree with small adjustments durning the try out to see what your dealing with . i just kept saying under my breath wow is this a rec ball clinic or a try-out ?

I can understand where your coming from. But in the coaches defense(being one myself) we are also looking at how the girl reacts and picks up on what we are trying to teach them. A lot of kids are really good atheletes, but are totally uncoachable! I agree with you it could mess them up a little but when we do it thats our principle behind the madness!!

I was typing and you was doing my thinking....LOL

Coachbale and "Will she do this for me NOW".. well end of subject.

well Im very disappointed in the few try-outs Ive been to this past few weeks seems like they were all very unorganized . and they looked more like a rec practice than a try -out maybe its the age 12u but .... lots of wasted time and dumb drills that dont seem to show what the kids are able to do ..... i just feel that 12u coaches should not be correcting kids on there swings or at bats and there throwing over hand . they want it done like this or like that ... and it just seemed to take a good kid make them really nervous and then they hold back or its screws them all up ...... i wood rather see a hard run balls out try-out lets see what you got and can bring to the team .... if we like what we see and you make the team then coach them into how you want them to swing or throw ...... i watched these coaches correct 3 kids that looked like really good players and after that they were all jacked up and there confidents was gone . im so glad it wasnt my kid . but the girls were just trying to adjust to what they thought the coaches wanted and it was not good .....
again small adjustments like get down in front of that ball or make sure you useIt both hands or charge that ball harder . is all fine and good but ... these guys were like trying to reteach the art of throwing a ball and it turned into a train rec for some good kids ....... thats all ....

It sounds like to me, you are going to lower level travel ball tryouts...aka..."daddy ball" teams where the coaches only know enough to be dangerous. Hang in there and seek out better quality organizations.

Im not trying to call anybody out but which tryouts do you and your DD attend. Did she make the team.

If she made the team is fine... but no orgs name please... that is not needed :mad:

That's the rule here on the OFC

I don't coach...LOL I might have in one day in time...coached the DD... but

Now, I get to be a State Director for Global Sports Authority www.globalfastpitch.com

I assume the position on September 19th.

I will be doing nothing but concetrating on 8u, 10u, 12u and 14u and growing the organization with those age groups.

Many people jumped ship of USSSA and ASA and NSA in August all over the Midwest and eastern Seaboard and come aboard and I was glad they asked me.. especially after they turned down someone from NSA to get to me.

I like the game as it gives a coach an option to play more players on his team in games. I like the one or two extra batters and the BB.. which is a base burner.. to which she can run for anyone and as many times in one inning as she wants.

Gives coaches the option of playing more girls and not having to hear from parents about lack of playing time for their kids.

LOL.. I think out loud too sometimes....:lmao:

Gets me in trouble sometimes too. Just a straight forward kind of guy that doesn't try to hurt no one's feelings.

well i don't wanna throw any organization under the bus .... but the tryouts were all big name teams in the upper 1/2 of the state . and as far as daddy ball goes its hard to find 12u teams were the coaches dont have a kid playing on the team ... last years tryouts were a blast to attend well run and a great work out for the kids and it was fun to see all the kids come out and compete ..... this year just seems off flat rec ball ish ???? thats all

My DD and I have been to several 12u tryouts and have seen some of what you have seen. However, I saw it all as positive. It showed me that the coaches cared and wanted to see the girls do the best they could. I've seen all levels of skill at tryouts, from possible superstars to girls still trying to grasp fundementals. In fact we were at a tryout recently and they wanted to see the girls bunt the first five pitches they saw. After five pitches to one girl it was obvious she had never bunted before. She did not know how. Instead of saying "next" the coach feeding balls into the machine took 30 seconds and showed the girl how to bunt. They gave her another five pitches, and guess what? she had four solid bunts out of five pitches. To me, that was awesome. That's the kind of organization I want my DD playing for. Unfortunately she did not get an offer.

ok i appreciate that you didnt throw any org. under the bus I was thinking out loud and didnt really think about what i was typing. Good Luck This Year!!! Hope the rest of it goes better!