What is ur definition of daddy ball???

ok try outs r going strong.....teams have there info posted etc.....but when the team has several/few/couple coaches that all have girls on the team and post all positions are open!!please explain....

Coaches who play their dd's over a player who is better for the position.

The players I have are very versitile and can play more than one position. If there is a player that beats out one of my returners for a certain position, than I can move people around. Just because a player was the best for a position last year does not mean they will be the best for the spot this year. Too many things change from year to year.

I am just an assistant coach and have two dd's on our team. I tell my daughters if someone comes in and is better then you at a particular position then they will get the playing time on Sunday's. If you don't like that then you better start practicing you butt off and take that position back. My dd's know this and would kill me if they thought I was playing daddy ball or was telling the coach to play them even though they did not deserve the playing time.

Daddy ball= When a dad has a kid that wont make a regular team so he coaches one to get her on the roster and starts her in almost every game.

My definition of Daddy ball is when daddy's darling has error after error and does not get moved to another position let alone some bench time when other players are as capable of playing said position. Let's be realistic here. It is not just hurting the team but her as well. At some point if she continues to play softball she will have a coach that will make her play the position or will replace her.

thats a catch 22 question there. it all depends on the coaches and teams you are talking about. My best advice is to go to the tryouts and talk to as many parents as you can that have played for the team in the past. Not all coaches cater to their own daughters, however some feel that they owe their assistant coaches daughters starting positions which were not neccessarily earned. Good luck:)

Well, we daddy ballers love to lose so we are going to bench your DD, who by the way just happens to be the best player at all positions. We are going to to put our kids in the super premier positions and not worry about winning or losing. Riiiiiight.

Most coaches are fathers and most coaches want to win and most coaches are not going to bench their best players. If your kid is really as good as you think, then she'll be playing...on MOST teams.

Now, there is a different between "all roster spots open" and "all positions open." I don't have all roster spots open but once you are on the roster, all positions are up for grabs.

Also, and this is a biggy. Just because you are the best 3rd baseman on the team doesn't mean that is where you'll be playing. Putting kids in position to make the whole defense better is like solving a Rubiks cube sometimes. Say for example I have a great player that is the best 3rd baseman and very good centerfielder. I have another kid that play 3rd base very nice but can't track a flyball to save her life. The best scenario for the team would be to have your best 3rd baseman in CF and your bad CF but good 3rd baseman at 3rd. Parents that can't see outside their little bubble might see that as some form of daddyball because you have your best 3rd baseman in CF. Crazy stuff right, but now your defense as a whole is stronger.

Daddy Ball = 50% to 75% of the teams posting tryouts on this forum. Good luck to all, choose wisely.

Well, we daddy ballers love to lose so we are going to bench your DD, who by the way just happens to be the best player at all positions. We are going to to put our kids in the super premier positions and not worry about winning or losing. Riiiiiight.

Most coaches are fathers and most coaches want to win and most coaches are not going to bench their best players. If your kid is really as good as you think, then she'll be playing...on MOST teams.

Now, there is a different between "all roster spots open" and "all positions open." I don't have all roster spots open but once you are on the roster, all positions are up for grabs.

Also, and this is a biggy. Just because you are the best 3rd baseman on the team doesn't mean that is where you'll be playing. Putting kids in position to make the whole defense better is like solving a Rubiks cube sometimes. Say for example I have a great player that is the best 3rd baseman and very good centerfielder. I have another kid that play 3rd base very nice but can't track a flyball to save her life. The best scenario for the team would be to have your best 3rd baseman in CF and your bad CF but good 3rd baseman at 3rd. Parents that can't see outside their little bubble might see that as some form of daddyball because you have your best 3rd baseman in CF. Crazy stuff right, but now your defense as a whole is stronger.

Awesome post, especially the last paragraph. I think most parents do not understand this part of coaching. DD played every high school game at second this year even though she had very little experience. That was where the team needed her the most and she had a great season.

Just because a dad is coaching his daughter does not make it daddy ball. For the past 3 years my team has had 3 parents coaching it, is there any daddy ball...NOT AT ALL! Feel it out and see if there is any true daddy ball going on.:D You'll find that there are some people that really play daddy ball, and some that are outstanding coaches. :yahoo:Here's my shout out to all the awesome Dad (and Mom) coaches out there!:yahoo:

Agree!!! There are many wonderful dad and mom coaches out there. We have played for and against several of them. Not all of them are in it for the wrong reasons!! Kuddos to them :D

All things being equal, who do you think is going to get the desired positions? Of course the coaches kids and their friends kids. I know there are some coaches out there that don't have kids on their team, but it is rare. Go to as many tryouts as you can. Ask as many questions as possible. Ask the coaches where their daughter plays. If your daughter wants that position, you are probably being set up for dissappointment. Lastly, there are very good coaches and teams out there who want to win on Sunday and I admire all the coaches who do this for all the right reasons. As fpitchdad says, "choose wisely."

Just some food for thought.......some coaches kids are better than most because they have a parent who is willing to stand outside in 20 to 90 degree weather and play ball every night. Granted I have seen some on the other end of the spectrum though too.

DDs should play Rec Ball until they can move up to the next level, you need to learn the basics before moving on to travel. No one should go into travel ball expecting to learn how to play softball. Travel ball should be where they can play competitive ball and perfect their skills.

Just for laughs what about the other side of this coin....What about the DD's of the coaches? The ones that no matter how well they play still have people think their position was handed to them, or the ones who have dads/coaches that push them even harder to "show" parents no favoritism is being played.

As a coach with a daughter on the team I can tell you that she knows there is extra pressure on her because I am her coach and at times maybe my expectations are a bit to high. It really hit home when she asked me why she had to be perfect but I was more patient and understanding when others made mistakes. It is certianly a fine line but one we are forced to deal with. I will tell you this much though, I want all 11 of my "daughters" on the team to have sucess!!

Stingrays99 - I've been the same way with my DD. I've always been harder on her then the rest just because I wanted to make sure I wasn't showing favoritism. Actually sat her and the asst coaches DD on occasion just to show everyone they had to sit too.

The basic definition of "Daddy Ball" as I see it is when a coach puts his interests or his daughter's interest ahead of the teams interest.

At the "A" level of travel ball, I have seen very little "Daddy Ball". Most of these coaches are objective enough and competitive enough that they generally do what is in the best interest of the entire team. I think it goes on much more at the Rec and "B" level.

daddy ball = 3 coaches on the team,all w/DD. Coach 1 is head coach DD is #1 pitcher by position, #3 by talent. Coach 2 doesn't want coach 1or 3 to talk with his DD, it messes with her head. coach #3 is there to make sure his DD feelings don't get hurt. None of these three bother to teach the other 8 girls how to play the game.

The basic definition of "Daddy Ball" as I see it is when a coach puts his interests or his daughter's interest ahead of the teams interest.

Bingo, and I would even go as far to say if he put his or his daughters interests above that of the team or players. A coaches responsibility is for EVERY player on the team not one. At a certain age he will be instrumental in promoting his players, and he must do it for all not just one.

I have seen the good and bad in this. The dad's who can be fair to all players and equally promote them should be really appreciated. Those who don't should be gone.