Girls Softball Drills Catchers Whats the proper Catchers Distance from home plate?

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
Watching a game today, and the catchers were playing extremely deep away from home plate. They were at least 3 - 4 feet away from the back side of Home Plate. It was two 10 under girl teams playing and maybe the age made a difference with how deep the catchers were playing.

When I was coaching and working with Catchers I always taught them (Get so close to the hitter that you can touch her knee). Most adjustments were based on the batter stance.

Is this normal depth for Catchers now in Fastpitch Softball?

MadT

Reaction score
The catcher must adjust to each batter, as there really isn't a set distance, catching too deep may impact the pitchers ability.

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
The one thing I did notice about the catcher's playing extremely deep behind the plate. On 3 steal attempt at home plate on passed balls, the catcher was able to get the ball back to the pitcher who managed to tag out two of base runners stealing home and also had the 3rd runner but could have been a bad call on the umpire. That question I'll post as another Thread inside the Softball Rules and questions section.

Shane

Reaction score
My DD has been taught to reach out with glove hand and if she can come close to the batter's back knee, she is then at a good distance. Seems like I am always catching her migrating back, she is young and will become more comfortable with repetition. Catching at the right distance makes a big difference in many aspects of the game so it is something that coaches need to instruct and remind.

OhPhat

Reaction score
It all is depend on the batters location in the box. The catcher should be as close enough to the batter to not effect the pitcher but far enough away to keep from getting hit. The bad things happen when a catcher is close and starts reach forward too far. My DD seems to migrate a little too far back once in a while, but she is younger.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
The catchers position is one that requires adjustments with just about every pitch so there really is no set distance or place as long as it is inside the catchers box and not so deep that it effects the pitcher or so close that it may result in catchers interference. The catchers box is fairly large 7x8.5ft but, I have seen catchers exit the box and get called resulting in an illegal pitch.

At 8U-12U most of the ladies are learning just how to receive the ball but as they develop they learn how to adjust and set up depending on the particular batter, play and situation.
At 12U this is where a lot of the catchers also start to learn to use signal systems like the wristbands I have even seen some 10U teams working with them.

We had plays especially with a runner on third and no outs that were designed to erase the base runner. Other defensive plays included bunting situations, slapper with runners on slapper with no runners etc.
All required the catcher to be in a position to receive the pitch and execute the play thus it has to be practiced and not just worked on in games.