bat question

FOR THOSE OF YOU HAVE BEEN IN SOFTBALL LONGER THAN ME CAN I HAVE A LITTLE ADVICE!! MY DAUGHTER IS 9 AND SHE IS VERY ATHLETIC, SHE'S BEEN PLAYING SOFTBALL FOR 3YEARS NOW, BUT HER HITTING SHE JUST DOESNT HAVE THE POP I THINK SHE SHOULD, I HEAR SOME COACHES SAY GO WITH A HEAVIER BAT , SOME SAY GO WITH A LIGHTER BAT AND THEN I HEAR SOME SAY IF IT AINT A TOP FLIGHT BAT YOUR WASTING YOUR TIME ! SHOULD I GO OUT AND BUY AND ANDERSON ROCKET TECH OR TECHZILLA OR NOT ?? RIGHT NOW SHE HAS A 17OZ BAT IS THAT WAY TO LIGHT , THANK YOU !! ;D ;D

I have to concur with Classics coach, a triple 7 is a very solid investment at around $100.00. 3 out of my 4 DD used a 31/19 or 30/19 when they were 9 years old. Try "Direct Sports" out of Virginia or "Western Athletic Supply" out of California for the best prices. Normal shipping is usually 3-5 days.

Make sure your daughters mechanics are not affecting her swing. Those high $ bats will not put any more pop into her bat if she doesn't have the mechanics in place to generate the torque needed to hit the ball hard.
I read a great article on rotational hitting @ Batspeed.com that talks about bat speed and the torque produced by rotational hitting.
Faster pitching has alot to do with it also. The faster it comes in the faster it goes out! ;D
Don't be overly concerned right now @ 9 about pop in the bat but focus on mechanics, it will come the stronger she gets.

I think it all depends on your daughter. right now she prolly needs about any where from a 20 oz. bat to a 22 oz. bat. I am 14 and i have used heavy bats all my life even as an 8 year old when i first started playing. I have always had a good batting average no matter what type of bat i use. You might want to try some bats out at Dicks or another athletic store before you deside which one is best for her.

I also have to agree with classics. A triple 7 is what my dd initially started out with. My dd has always been very small for her age. She used the -11 17.5 oz or 18 oz at age 10. I wouldn't go any heavier or she'll never get around on the ball.

Mechanics are the most important thing to focus on at this point. Working off of a T is the best way to create muscle memory. That way she can focus on mechanics and hitting harder. Later on you can move to the next level and start working on soft toss. If she regresses then go back to the T. You have to crawl before you can walk and walk before you can run!!

If you're swinging with the proper mechanics, even a $20 Wal-Mart bat will give you plenty of pop.

What if you get the hottest bat on the market right now? Will your daughter's pop increase? Maybe a little. Maybe enough for a few of those slow rollers to make it through the infield for hits. Maybe a fly ball or two gets past an outfielder instead of being caught.

The trade-off is that as your daughter gets older, and the pitching becomes more improved, that little bit of extra pop from the bat will not make up for a lack of good, sound hitting mechanics.

In fact, if her pop is coming from the bat alone, you are probably reinforcing a slew of bad hitting mechanics along the way.

Get the mechanics down first, then spring for the high-tech bat when your daughter is big enough not to outgrow it in a season.

Last edited by a moderator: