What Is the Average Length of girls softball career?

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
What Is the Average Length of girls softball career?

If you had to make a guess on how long a girl career in softball last how many years do you believe that would be?

Would it be more then five years or less then five years?

At what age do you believe girls leave the game?

I believe the average years of playing travel ball is around four to five years.

I believe most player leave the game when they become 15 years old.

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The careers are getting longer since they are starting earlier in age, theres now 8u-9u playing, where they used to start around 12. Your belief of 4-5 yrs would bring them to my next point, I'd say 15-16 yrs old is when they drop off , this weeds out the not so serious players and also thats when boys usually come into play.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
agree - start around 8 years old... might make it to 18u but i do see a lot move onto other things or focus on other sports that may help them get a scholarship around 15u - 16u. so i think the average is about 7 - 8 years

Xrayaries

Reaction score
The number one reason girls leave their freshman year of HS is the choices they are given. Basketball, Cheer, Track, Soccer etc...

My DD was a 4 sport athlete before HS. Softball, Volleyball, Basketball all (travel) Track and field. I sat her down and said you can be good at 3 sports in HS or you can be great at one. She chose Softball and the rest is history.

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of these answers would depend on the area. Around here, the rec leagues are still strong for the most part and many players start around the age of 5 or 6. My DD started when she was 5. Most of my 14U team started in that same rec league around the same age and although I foresee losing 2 after this season, a majority of the others are playing TB for 1 of 3 reasons; they either want to start on their HS team and play HS ball, they want to play at the college level or both. So my DD and my players have blown the 5 year (overall) mark completely out of the water.

The TB career is a little different since most girls move to TB in my area between 11-12 years old. Thus, the average TB career can be no longer that 5-6 years at most before their HS career ends or they move onto college ball.

A majority of Pitchers and Catchers quit playing their positions by the end of second year 14U. I would agree that a majority of other players also stop playing the game around then, or at the least, stop playing at as high a level as they've previously played for numerous reasons. I think @Xrayaries gave one major reason but there is another also. Like it or not, many of them want a social life. They want to have a boyfriend or girlfriend. They want to go to school dances with their BF or GF. They want to experience HS parties, They want to go to the movies or HS sporting events (Football games, Basketball games, etc.) with their friends. The list goes on and on. What most people don't understand is the sacrifices these kids make daily to play this game at a high level. Those that want to play at the college level, even more so because the sacrifices of a true college social life aren't there. Something else to think about.

daboss

Reaction score
The careers are getting longer since they are starting earlier in age, theres now 8u-9u playing, where they used to start around 12. Your belief of 4-5 yrs would bring them to my next point, I'd say 15-16 yrs old is when they drop off , this weeds out the not so serious players and also thats when boys usually come into play.

Assuming they start in T-ball around 6 years of age I agree with HITTER23 that 15 years old or sophomore year of high school seems to weed a lot of girls from the sport. The reasoning is somewhat the same as HITTER23 as I put a little more salt into school ball playing a part in girls making some choices. Here's my opinion:

It appears to me that girls, for the most part, put more emphasis in being able to play-------not simply be a part of a team. Compared to boys, they appear to have less patience and have higher expectations. Boys seem to be able to accept that other boys have more natural talent without it affecting their attitude or perspective. Boys can be satisfied with simply having a uniform or a team jacket to wear. Girls want more and in many cases don't feel fulfilled, even if it is a supporting roll beneficial to the team performance.

Example: boys would remain on their baseball team if all they contributed was being a pinch runner at times. Most girls are not going to accept being an expert base-runner and professional slider as her job on a team. As a coach, we would welcome a race horse like this with open arms but a young lady wouldn't view this in such high regard.

I believe girls will give it till their sophomore age in the game and if they don't see much light at the immediate end to the tunnel they will look elsewhere to spend their time.

While times have improved, this has been evident in college for years as we watched team rosters favor younger players as the staple. The game was growing by leaps and bounds and the talent pool favored younger ladies that were getting a higher quality of coaching and game experience at a younger age. Freshman were coming in with more knowledge, honed talent, and competitive game experience than any of the juniors and seniors on the team. Coaches were quick to utilize this fresh talent and would sit juniors and seniors. The older girls felt betrayed because they thought there should be some loyalty from the coaching staff. Coaches were quick to point out if they wanted to play they needed to step their game up. Unfortunately, for many juniors and seniors they simply were born too soon and didn't get the same opportunities.

At this pivotal point in many of the girls' lives they would opt to graduate on time and favor class schedules over playing a game, leaving to pursue their education and go on with their adult lives. That's why the average age of rosters were so young. It was an easy out for older girls and an acceptable excuse. For many it left them empty, longing for the what it could have been, and left them emotionally damaged. To be honest, it would have been prudent for staff to provided counseling to the young ladies so they could put closure to their decision but few schools ever thought of it. Instead they remained focused to the "in the moment" team and winning.

Bad choice.........

This same thing occurs when the girls try out for jr. high and high school teams. Parents should really be aware of the emotional strain it puts on their daughters. The girls need comfort and support, especially if you are one of those parents that have put a lot of energy into being a part of the game. The girls don't want to let you down, even if they are ready to move on with their life. If you are one of those parents, you need to accept it and move on as well. Don't lose sight of the fact that the game is for them, not for your experience or void in your life.

I had an "old mentor" explain high school ball like this:

Freshmen want to make the team.
Sophomores want to start.
Juniors want to win it all.
Seniors want the awards.

It seems to have a ring of truth in many cases. Makes you think doesn't it..................

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
to expand on what i said, at the 15-16 age the social aspect comes into play, all the things that come with being a teenage girl. I dont know how many times i had the debate of softball commitment vs. hanging out, friends boys etc.

frenchy101010

Reaction score
My daughter played 1 season of rec ball starting at 7yo. Then 7 years of travel ball. She made it to HS, tried out for varsity as a freshman, made the team as the starting CF, then COVID hit. Never played again. She is 15 now. She decided school was more important, she is #1 in non-weighted GPA, and #2 in weighted GPA in her sophomore class. So hoping for an academic scholarship to OSU.

As much as it kills my wife and I, it was the right choice. School has really taken alot of time with all the hard classes she takes.

Keeping her equipment for now, maybe she will change her mind!

Last edited:

jayflyer98

Reaction score
My daughter played 1 season of rec ball starting at 7yo. Then 7 years of travel ball. She made it to HS, tried out for varsity as a freshman, made the team as the starting CF, then COVID hit. Never played again. She is 15 now. She decided school was more important, she is #1 in non-weighted GPA, and #2 in weighted GPA in her sophomore class. So hoping for an academic scholarship to OSU.

As much as it kills my wife and I, it was the right choice. School has really taken alot of time with all the hard classes she takes.

Keeping her equipment for now, maybe she will change her mind!

Your daughter is a good kid and pleasure to have coached. I would not be surprised if she breaks that equipment out in the next year or two... :)