Wondering what to do at this point

Wondering what to do at this point:

My DD tried out for a team that last season was very competitive. The team had 2 positions that were open during try-outs. She decided to play up an age level and made this team. The problem is that now at least 6 of the girls on the team have left the team for various reasons (one decided to quit ball altogether, one didn’t get enough playing time, one didn't fit in socially with the other girls, one moved out of town etc.). The players that the coach has decided to offer the open positions to are not of the same skill/talent level as the ones who left (the reason being that apparently at this point he is just trying to have enough for a roster). I know this because I have watched these girls play ball for several years. Please don't attack me for saying that. I know these girls and their families and enjoy them tremendously (the skill level just isn't there for some of them). So the team she tried out for and made is not the same team.

Also the coach told me at try-outs that the team would be playing in a fall league (which didn't happen) told me they would be working out and practicing during the winter (which hasn't happened yet). He also named some high profile (competitive) tournaments that he would be entering the team in but has failed to do so at this point and three that he mentioned are already full now.

So my question is should she look for another team to play for at this point? She does have a goal of playing college ball and does play for her high school now. She has played travel ball for the last five years. I thought I asked all the right questions at the try-out. I talked to parents that had daughters on the team; I also talked to parents that had daughters not returning. I was under the impression that the coachs and teams goals were the same as my daughters. We both thought it would be a good fit, now unfortunately because of the afore mentioned items we are having second thoughts.

She has never quit, left or changed a team during a season in any sport. She and I fully understand how it feels to be on the receiving end of a team that has players and or coaches quit during the season.

What would you do?

I don't care what other people say, you have to what is best for your daughter. You committed to a team that is no more. If you tried out for this team and you saw that they had very little talent you would of went to another team.

Personally, I would meet with the coach first and vent your concerns. Obviously some things have been told to you that aren't true.This is a major concern, but maybe he has some good explanations? Or, if you just don't trust him anymore, he should hear this as well. I agree, you have to do what is right for your daughter.

This is a tough one, starting out on the wrong foot is not good, but maybe things can get worked out.

I agree with the above reply. You should really sit down with the coach and let him know your feelings. Perhaps there is an explanation.

I think also that the age level of the girls is important here. If your daughter is on an 18+U team, I think you have a right to want the absolute best team for your daughter to be a part of. A good 18+U team gets college scouts to its games.

But don't underestimate the ability of the coach to make your daughter a better player. Whether or not a team wins or loses, a good coach will make your daughter a better player, which in itself will be a selling point to college coaches.

I guess the real question then is: will staying on this team make your daughter a better player?

If the answer is truly no, then you have to work out the mental and financial frustration of severing your ties with this team and finding another one.

Hope this helps.

This is indeed a tough decision. I think it is good advice to talk with the coaches. If you leave the discussion not trusting the coach or feel you concerns have been answered, then you might want to consider going elsewhere, but....make sure you discuss that with the coach also. I don't envy your situation.

Ditto to the above statements. I think you should address it sooner than later. At least it will give you time to lok at other options if that is the way it shakes out.

It's that gray season in which it is difficult to know whether you are reneging on a commitment. In any event, it seems that in the situation you describe, you have a right to look elsewhere because the contract has been breached on the coaching side. The coach hasn't performed on his commitments and the team simply no longer is the team for which your daughter tried out. I think this is a far different situation than walking away mid-season when the team has to scramble to fill the void.

I wanted to thank all of you for your replies and advice. I have tried contacting the coach via email as well as 2 phone calls and thus far have had no relply back. I have talked with two other parents on the team as well and they have no idea what is going on with the team either at this point so for now I guess it is just sit and wait awhile longer?

I would really like to at least give the coach a chance to explain some things to me...I just hope that this lack of communication with the parents on the team is not going to be a big problem. The longer this goes on and as the season draws closer, I just see that red flag getting bigger and bigger.

Run, don't walk, to the nearest competitive team that you can find.

2 phone calls and an email.....hmmm, that is very troubling.

I agree with cgs. Go past go, collect your $200 and proceed to another team. Quickly.

Orion , Is this a central Ohio team it sounds very similar to a team that was being discussed at a meeting last night.

Just a warning...Do not post the name of the team on this forum. You can confirm it is central Ohio or not, that is general information. You can exchange the specific information via IM or email.

Not asking for name of team just if it is a central Ohio team I belong to a central Ohio organization that has a situation and is looking to resolve a problem. Yes I would like to be contacted by email by Orion rather than they name the team or Organization on this forum to see if they are the same team.