watered down

Lenski65

Reaction score
Oh man, like many of you I knew this topic would be entertaining. lol. Something happened that wouldn't let me chime in yesterday and now 4 pages strong with most missing the the point. lol.

With that said, let me ask a question with a different twist in hopes of throwing fuel on the fire. How about considering the problem is there aren't enough qualified coaches out there for the teams we have now? That might be a better statement than judging the talents of the girls. lol

Read post #37. I never said a word about the talent of the girls.

TnTs_Dad

Reaction score
Finally someone nails it. Its not that the teams are watered down by players its more that the teams are watered down by lack of coaching. The game is growing. More kids are playing travel over rec. More kids want to experience a higher level. The issue is not enough qualified people to lead and teach. If there were enough people to teach proper mechanics and fundamentals the conversation would be.....why are there so many good players for so few teams. All the complaining about watered down talent begs the question...... how can the kids be held responsible. Should not the adults that are supposed to be responsable for their training be held accountable? Now that i have farted in in church i will set back and watch the stumbling and the rumbling from the crowds that blame everyone but themselves.

As fas as beer goes i prefer a beer with taste and body ( Weizenbier and heff I brew my self. Have tried to educate Chris about beer but some people would rather drink the pi$$ that flows from St Louis and Milwaukee.

Tim

BOOM! That's the real issue here... lack of quality coaching. We should be glad that girls want something more than what a local rec team may offer. The real issue comes down to the fact that when little Suzie wants to go play with a "higher level team" they aren't getting "higher level coaching". I've watched many girls over the years leave our local rec league for "select" or "travel" teams. I don't blame them a bit. What's disappointing is next time I see them I see zero improvement... If anything sometimes I think they've gotten worse. Seems the latest and greatest team they joined had a coach who was more concerned about getting his own DD playing time and winning the 1st Annual Paul's Pizza and Pet Shop Junior High Premier Softball Showcase rather than teaching mechanics and fundamentals.

I should add, that I've also watched girls with the same level of talent go play for the latest and greatest team and return with much improved mechanics and fundamentals. The difference wasn't the player, but definitely the coaching they received IMO.

Last edited:

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
boss good reply... so what is the solution to the "watered down coaches" ?? I think most if not all of us started coaching at one point a little wet behind the ears. We as coaches are also (should be) learning day by day what and how to do and coach this game. Just like the athletes... we didn't roll out of bed knowing how to play or coach this game and I know most aren't born coaches with all the knowledge and ability needed to coach top level teams. some go to coaching clinics, some study online, some go watch top teams play and learn strategy and ways to teach or coach from more experienced coaches BUT I would say that most coaches starting at 9u - 10u probably are fresh out of REC programs just wanting more.... just like athletes wanting to be challenged and play better teams and as a coach, become a better coach and striving to coach the team better than the other guy. You wont get that challenge in REC ball.

We all have (or had) a starting point... it is what you do with it during and after that point that makes the difference. I would assume some don't do anything listed above and already think they are the top level coach that has the ability and knowledge to coach at a top level and that could be some of the problems with watered down coaches.

SO-- if you are a coach and you are not trying to improve YOUR GAME> just like you tell your players to improve their game..... you might be part of the problem!!!

seems like a never ending cycle.... that is unless all the coaches finishing up at 18u would be the only ones allowed to start up again at 10u. then we would have experienced coaches.... but until that happens.. you will always have coaches coming out of weaker programs striving to be better and hopefully can make it on one of those coaching polls lists in the top 10 !!

Last edited:

okiedad1961

Reaction score
I guess a question should be what kind of coach do you need at each age group?
Example:
8-10u fundamentals

16-18 game strategy etc.

Hilliarddad3

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if there are too many girls or if coaches aren't 100% qualified either....if a coach isn't learning along the way they aren't doing their job. All guys come from the baseball realm and have to learn the girls game as it is drastically different and there is nothing wrong with that. They are after all volunteers! The more girls playing the better, even if they get their tails beat or not, are they learning something? Are they still having fun? If they learned something more than they came in with, the coach did something right.

As for watered down close down MLB as 70% of those teams S#%# even better shut the Browns down too while you're at it.....

Fairman

Reaction score
Let me make a play here for coaches to join the National Fastpitch Coaches Association. (NFCA)

They do a great job in advocating for Fastpitch and their Coaches' College is most beneficial. No where can you receive instruction from such top shelf talent. I went to one where two Hall of Fame D-1 College Coaches actually ran a practice (for two days) for a local community college team as the major teaching component of the class. One benefit that is virtually unknown is that a travel ball coach member gets to register their players two weeks early for the NFCA showcases such as Pennsbury or Stingrays.

If you are serious about coaching then you should be a member of the NFCA. If you want to be a better coach the NFCA will give you a huge leg-up.

Web Site
https://nfca.org

Membership
https://nfca.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6560&Itemid=151

Coaches' College
https://nfca.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6253&Itemid=175

PLAYBALL

Reaction score
Finally someone nails it. Its not that the teams are watered down by players its more that the teams are watered down by lack of coaching. The game is growing. More kids are playing travel over rec. More kids want to experience a higher level. The issue is not enough qualified people to lead and teach. If there were enough people to teach proper mechanics and fundamentals the conversation would be.....why are there so many good players for so few teams. All the complaining about watered down talent begs the question...... how can the kids be held responsible. Should not the adults that are supposed to be responsable for their training be held accountable? Now that i have farted in in church i will set back and watch the stumbling and the rumbling from the crowds that blame everyone but themselves.

As fas as beer goes i prefer a beer with taste and body ( Weizenbier and heff I brew my self. Have tried to educate Chris about beer but some people would rather drink the pi$$ that flows from St Louis and Milwaukee.

Tim

I definitely agree with this. We all know Dad coaches in any sport are volunteers and don't get paid. Without Dad coaches sports would pretty much be non existent. The problem that comes from some dad coach teams (not all) is a term that is labeled as "daddy ball". I would not associate that term with every dad coach mostly because it references a very specific group of dads. There are various reasons as to why some dads decide to coach but the ones who stand out are the ones who make it all about "their" DD's. They stand out like a sore thumb on and off the field. Unfortunately, daddy ball coaches create a stereotype that isn't easily overcome by even the best dad coaches who are in it for the right reasons. In time though it all works itself out and these less than knowledgeable coaches end up back on the sidelines where they belong.

ojirot

Reaction score
Instead of worrying about this sport being watered down and criticizing all the dads out their that spend countless hours on the field, in a car driving to and from tournaments with kids that most of their parents don't even own a glove to play pitch and catch in the back yard during the week. I say hats off to the dads and moms who are trying to make the girls better by trying to coaching them in a game that is "just a game to most". With all the crime and drugs in the world today think how many kids that are staying out of trouble, simply because they have to go to bed early on a friday night because they got to get up at 5am, leave at 6 to be at the field by 7 for warmups. I say create all the teams you can. There are tournaments, games, scrimmages,friendlies for all level of talent.
My DD played 7 years of "Travel Ball" and as a incoming senior with a this year and soon to be a 2016 graduate. She has decided to major in Architecture and there are only 4 schools in Ohio that offer that major and she has decided this summer would be her last year of playing on a summer team. We have 1 High School season left and it will be the end of softball for her. Looking back, we have been on some good and some not so good teams. But the time we have spent together has aloud us to develop a relationship that will last a lifetime.

daboss

Reaction score
Instead of worrying about this sport being watered down and criticizing all the dads out their that spend countless hours on the field, in a car driving to and from tournaments with kids that most of their parents don't even own a glove to play pitch and catch in the back yard during the week. I say hats off to the dads and moms who are trying to make the girls better by trying to coaching them in a game that is "just a game to most". With all the crime and drugs in the world today think how many kids that are staying out of trouble, simply because they have to go to bed early on a friday night because they got to get up at 5am, leave at 6 to be at the field by 7 for warmups. I say create all the teams you can. There are tournaments, games, scrimmages,friendlies for all level of talent.
My DD played 7 years of "Travel Ball" and as a incoming senior with a this year and soon to be a 2016 graduate. She has decided to major in Architecture and there are only 4 schools in Ohio that offer that major and she has decided this summer would be her last year of playing on a summer team. We have 1 High School season left and it will be the end of softball for her. Looking back, we have been on some good and some not so good teams. But the time we have spent together has aloud us to develop a relationship that will last a lifetime.

Wonderful post! Might be a good place to end the thread don't you think?

Ri-domination

Reaction score

Kudos to you on nailing that! Unfortunately most of us know why it's worried about,,, it's because it's not always about the kids. If the kids and parents who are worried about continuing to play at the highest level would simply do there homework to become better and play on the right teams to support that goal things would be fine. No kid from Ohio who has went on to play division 1 ball has worried about it being watered down, they simply put in the work and aligned themselves with teams that would support their goals. Who cares if there are B teams or even rec teams out there. Those teams are there for the kids. Too much worrying about this kid leaving this team for that team or this team switched from this organization to another. Who cares. Let kids, teams and parents make their own decisions about what's best for them without criticizing. If you want to be "premier" uh oh bad word, then do your homework, align yourself with like minded people and work for it. If you want to be part of a team because your DD and you enjoy the game and are enjoying the time spent, no matter what level, then good for you! I'm sure all of our daughters started in a rec program. Bottom line is do what is best for your DD and your family and enjoy the time spent. I for one still enjoy stopping by the local rec field and catching games simply for the love of watching the young ladies who play for no other reason than they enjoy it.

Last edited:

Troy Kamph

Reaction score
shocked-will-smith.gif

Stupid.... Must have nothing to do

Lester

Reaction score
one things for sure... with out 9 girls... the watered down team with whatever talent will go to the dry fields of teams with 10 girls.

Reaction score
I'm all for as any teams as possible to get more kids playing the game; however given the number of teams and the listing of all the teams still looking for players, especially pitchers, it would seem there are too many teams for the amount of available players.

Lester

Reaction score
another reason for the lack of kids coming out is most do not know of this site or others like it capable of promoting the sport and advertising your needs. I hear this aaaaa looooot at tryouts. If we ponied up some $$ combined with the HS coaches helping to promote the site... the lists may change... That or more dads will jump in the pot and want a team to beat their chests about. (had to throw that last piece in). Many HS coaches probably don't know of this site or choose to ignore it :).

ojirot

Reaction score
I have been a High School coach for 6 years and have coached our rec ball for 14 years in logan county, Ohio. I heavily utilize and promote this web site to all of my high school and rec league players, out of the 14 girls I coached in the Fall league 7 of my girls are playing on travel teams next season in addition to playing on Mondays and Wednesday nights in our 12-16 team rec league. Not all kids have the talent or desire to play travel ball. I just like giving all the girls and parents the information and I hope coaches do their job and are honest with the girls when they go to tryout.