Safety Bag @ 1st Base

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Mandatory in Ohio high school play (this was the first year).

For USA, if it's a national qualifier or tournament they are required. If it's not a national tournament, while suggested it isn't mandatory.

Coach Rick Smith

Reaction score
Most tournaments require the safety bag. We played this weekend without them at a showcase in PA.

24GahannaLadyLions7

Reaction score
Only a few of the fields had them at Orrville for 5-alarm--- I saw a few 1st baseman and a few second basemen covering the bunt getting plowed this weekend. I enjoyed the tournament very much.

Reaction score
Website
www.playusssaohio.com
It is not mandatory in USSSA play but our rulebook does address how to deal with them when they are there. Just to guess why they are not mandatory would be that high school fields get used often and before this season, most didn't have the orange bag. I did notice them on all of the fields the 2 weekends we were in Pickerington at North and Central high schools.

Bretman is NFHS making it mandatory of Ohio High School or did OHSAA decide to enact that? Just curious because a lot of our rule changes are influenced by what NFHS does.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike, why doesn't USSSA allow for the teams to use the other teams on deck circle? This is a safety issue. Why do do they not allow it?

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Mike, NFHS always had guidelines for using the double base, but left it up to state adoption whether it was used or not. OHSAA decided to begin making it mandatory this year.

Reaction score
Website
www.playusssaohio.com
Russ,

You would have to ask someone who was with USSSA before me because it was in the book when I joined up.

I know I have yet to see a girl get hit in the on deck circle by a foul ball in almost 20 years of doing this. I've seen more girls get hurt by collisions at first base than anywhere else on the field even with the safety bag.

Mike, why doesn't USSSA allow for the teams to use the other teams on deck circle? This is a safety issue. Why do do they not allow it?

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Russ,

You would have to ask someone who was with USSSA before me because it was in the book when I joined up.

I know I have yet to see a girl get hit in the on deck circle by a foul ball in almost 20 years of doing this. I've seen more girls get hurt by collisions at first base than anywhere else on the field even with the safety bag.

Thanks for the reply.........I think it is something that should be brought up by the rules committee soon. I have seen many shots come off the bats in the last few years, both fair & foul! That is why there is a Mask Debate also. We were in Florida last summer & I took a hard hit shot from my lead-off hitter at the 3B box. No chance to get out of the way. I had a pretty good sized ugly bruise on my side for the next week. It is just common sense that should be brought up. I personally get aggravated when calling pitches & have the other teams batters come stand right in front of me, but the chance of them getting hurt goes down & that is a good thing! I would like to hear from the rules committee as why they are against it. Will give me a reason to write an email, as soon as I find out who to send it to.......lol