Mommy / Daddy ball

RacerX

Reaction score
My DD started back with her travel team recently... After playing in a competitive school environment, it is a shock to see the immaturity in some kids. One coach doing one thing, another saying another. I'm not sure If I had blinders on last fall but eyes are wide open now... I hope the heat of summer and tournaments brings about a different environment than we see in league play and practices.

RacerX

22dad

Reaction score
Opposite here. School ball is daddy ball. Head coach and assitants are daddies. Cant wait for travel

Reactions: JMT

Freeze Mizer

Reaction score
If it weren’t for “Mommys and Daddys”, there wouldn’t be a whole lot of teams out there. These folks are giving up their time to work with kids. Granted, some may not be well-suited to the task but that’s up to each player/parents to research and figure out. The bad ones typically don’t last too long.
Try finding a team coached by a non-parent coach. They do exist but they are an exception.
( I do not have a kid on the team that I coach so I guess that I am an exception.)
If you don’t like what you’re seeing and you think you can do better, volunteer!
It doesn’t pay very well but it can be a rewarding experience.

22dad

Reaction score
Dont think anyone was looking for a lecture. This is a rant thread......

wannaplaysb

Reaction score
Mommy and daddy ball equals winning and winners. Tired of hearing bs. I sit in the out field. Now. Not cuz I did any favors for anyone when I coached both my daughters. Less for them. They outworked the others every day...that included getting to the field an hour before practice, carrying all the equipment, working on their struggles before the team got there and I had to coach twelve other girls, raking the field before and after practice. No lecture...just what was our way of life. I now CHEER for the daughters of the coaches because...they are great players. And deserve to not have to hear what their parent/coach has to say on the way home.

swohio

Reaction score
Mommy and daddy ball equals winning and winners. Tired of hearing bs. I sit in the out field. Now. Not cuz I did any favors for anyone when I coached both my daughters. Less for them. They outworked the others every day...that included getting to the field an hour before practice, carrying all the equipment, working on their struggles before the team got there and I had to coach twelve other girls, raking the field before and after practice. No lecture...just what was our way of life. I now CHEER for the daughters of the coaches because...they are great players. And deserve to not have to hear what their parent/coach has to say on the way home.
Whenever I hear the term”daddy ball,” the first thing I think of is excuse. Most of the people I hear it from are people who think their daughters are a lot better than they really are. I’ve been around this game a pretty long time, and if you think these coaches are being hard on-your kid to make their daughters look better, you are sadly mistaken. Most of these guys/ladies are out here doing the best job they can, and I commend them.

City Slicker

Reaction score
I'm a "daddy ball" coach and proud of it. There is nothing I enjoy more than being able to coach my daughters. When I was a kid, there was nothing that I enjoyed more than having my "daddy" coach my teams. My "daddy" & I coached together for 18 years, what's that called? "Daddy/Granddaddy" ball?

Thanks to all of the "daddies" that take the time to coach, not only their kids but all of the other kids too.

22dad

Reaction score
Love these debates. The sport would not survive without parents involvement in coaching. I am one of them and a basher of a parent coach earlier in this thread. I've always tried to be fair and if anything i am much harder on my daughter than others. Decisions are made by the head coach with feedback from the assistants. The amount of time and hassle a coach goes through is immense and worse for a parent due to the eggshells presented due to the child on the team. The difference for me is the high school coach is a paid position. His daughter and 2 other players (daughters) that did not make any teams they tried out for, and joined C travel teams, are dressing varsity over 2 girls playing on a successful A travel team. Very disheartening for the girls that work their tails off year round. Most parent coaches do their best and I actually do not object to a little extra opportunity given to volunteer coaches children. It is a tough but rewarding gig. But a paid HS position is inexcusable and only harmful to the children and future of the program.
I would not have started coaching if it weren't for my daughter's involvement and the need to step forward to help. This is probably about every coach's story out there. My daughter and I plan on giving back by coaching together after her college career.

swohio

Reaction score
Love these debates. The sport would not survive without parents involvement in coaching. I am one of them and a basher of a parent coach earlier in this thread. I've always tried to be fair and if anything i am much harder on my daughter than others. Decisions are made by the head coach with feedback from the assistants. The amount of time and hassle a coach goes through is immense and worse for a parent due to the eggshells presented due to the child on the team. The difference for me is the high school coach is a paid position. His daughter and 2 other players (daughters) that did not make any teams they tried out for, and joined C travel teams, are dressing varsity over 2 girls playing on a successful A travel team. Very disheartening for the girls that work their tails off year round. Most parent coaches do their best and I actually do not object to a little extra opportunity given to volunteer coaches children. It is a tough but rewarding gig. But a paid HS position is inexcusable and only harmful to the children and future of the program.
I would not have started coaching if it weren't for my daughter's involvement and the need to step forward to help. This is probably about every coach's story out there. My daughter and I plan on giving back by coaching together after her college career.

That’s just kind of hard to believe, unless something is missing. You do understand that “C” means all girls from the same district, right? There are several “A” organizations that stay local, and don’t play against other teams with “A” talent. So, what about the other 6 girls on the team that dress? Are they on “A” travel teams as well? If you have 8 girls that all play for “A” travel teams, that sounds like a heck of a high school team. If not, why aren’t you complaining about the other 6 girls taking spots away as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

22dad

Reaction score
It's my fault I brought this up. I am not going to try and prove my lack of bias, knowledge or credentials except to say I know the difference between A and C ball. There is no lack of expertise and self esteem on this site. No objection to seniors and other upper classmen being on varsity or freshmen on JV. Object to daughters dressing and practicing varsity without the skills to contribute. To say some of this doesn't go on is ignorance.

swohio

Reaction score
It's my fault I brought this up. I am not going to try and prove my lack of bias, knowledge or credentials except to say I know the difference between A and C ball. There is no lack of expertise and self esteem on this site. No objection to seniors and other upper classmen being on varsity or freshmen on JV. Object to daughters dressing and practicing varsity without the skills to contribute. To say some of this doesn't go on is ignorance.
I have never in my life heard of 2 “C” players, dressing for 2 “A” players. Maybe our definition of “A” players is a little different. I’m not going to call you ignorant or anything, but I think there are 8 maybe 10 tops “A” organizations in all of Ohio. Just because someone calls themselves an “A” or Gold team doesn’t make it true.

22dad

Reaction score
There aren't any in southwest Ohio or the tristate. That is why we drive a long way. Maybe that's part if the reason, abandoning the rec and local feeders. I agree it's hard to believe and you can decide to or not. I didn't believe it when it happened.

swohio

Reaction score
There aren't any in southwest Ohio or the tristate. That is why we drive a long way. Maybe that's part if the reason, abandoning the rec and local feeders. I agree it's hard to believe and you can decide to or not. I didn't believe it when it happened.
2 of the 8 are actually in Southwest Ohio. Hawks, and Doom, are both “A” organizations. So maybe your ignorance is starting to show a little. What organization do you drive a long way for that classifies itself as “B” so you have more tournament options?

22dad

Reaction score
Hawks yes, Doom no, at least not in our age group. Just like you said, just cut you say A, doesn't make it so. I'm pretty ignorant though.

swohio

Reaction score
Hawks yes, Doom no, at least not in our age group. Just like you said, just cut you say A, doesn't make it so. I'm pretty ignorant though.
Fair enough. Let’s answer the question though. What team classifies itself as “B” so you have more options, do you drive a long way for? Your words, not mine. BTW you said no teams in Southwest Ohio, and 1 is more than none. Just my opinion though

22dad

Reaction score
Is 'B' a past comment? We switched to an Indy team since up to 15u. Means more now. Fairness to the Hawks. I never really thought of them as a Southwest Ohio org. Westside thing I guess.

swohio

Reaction score
Is 'B' a past comment? We switched to an Indy team since up to 15u. Means more now. Fairness to the Hawks. I never really thought of them as a Southwest Ohio org. Westside thing I guess.
That was after fall tryouts, so I guess you switched teams after fall? And if you are saying Dooms 16u and 18u teams aren’t “A” teams, you are very uninformed. Hawks are from Dayton/Lebanon which is very much Southwest Ohio.

Attachments

• 4A608EF4-2EAB-430E-8F47-B54F31DE593B.png
    4A608EF4-2EAB-430E-8F47-B54F31DE593B.png
    378.1 KB · Views: 35

22dad

Reaction score
Middle of fall tryouts. Switched prior to fall. Played against, watched and considered Doom. Love the 15u coach. A little too much trouble filling the team and last couple selections. I'll stick with my uniformed ignorance. Never said Hawks weren't legit. This went way off topic from a rant about something very specific.

swohio

Reaction score
Middle of fall tryouts. Switched prior to fall. Played against, watched and considered Doom. Love the 15u coach. A little too much trouble filling the team and last couple selections. I'll stick with my uniformed ignorance. Never said Hawks weren't legit. This went way off topic from a rant about something very specific.
You are the one who took the topic in this direction, by saying there aren’t any A teams in Southwest Ohio. I was only trying to understand your full complaint about school ball coaches. It’s really a vague complaint without a name on it. The only team I know that does have a couple parents helping is E. Central. But #5 is an absolute beast, and #4 is awesome as well.